Zink Moneymaker

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Edisto ducks, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Edisto ducks

Edisto ducks Senior Refuge Member

Thinking about buying this call. I've always called a bunch of Specks, but haven't ever paid too much attention to calling the big geese. I've always had a cheap-o Canada call. Now, I'm ready to start getting more serious aboput calling them in.

Where I hunt, 75% of the geese are Lessers. My question: Is the moneymaker a good call for a beginner? Is it an "easy" call to run while being versatile enough to grow with me as I become a better "honker"?

Thanks

2. ksgoosekilr

ksgoosekilr Elite Refuge Member

It has been my go to call since I started. I carry an acrylic MM and maple LM-1 and think its an awesome combo. Some people like the bell...some don't. Just a matter of preference. I will say that for ME its has been an awesome call. Go try out a few different calls and find one that YOU like and are comfortable with.

3. Icastnblast

Icastnblast Elite Refuge Member

Man, honker calls are a tough one, I have tried many including the money maker,

Honestly go to your nearest outdoor shop and blow as many different ones as you can, don't be shy if your not that good, you have to figure out which one fits you best. THEN, spend 15-20 mins a day working on those notes!

4. FireDuck79

FireDuck79 Senior Refuge Member

Riding around on a Ladder Truck in Illinois
    The Money Maker and Zink Little Man are alot alike. Both are good calls but I prefer the Little Man.
    Im not sure about the beginner question cause I used short reeds since they been around. It maybe tough getting started but once you hit the right note and figure it out it will all fall into place.
    Go to the store and blow a few of them.

5. minminn

minminn Elite Refuge Member

Over on the calling forum you have some call maker sponsors. Honestly for the money you can have a custom call that was turned by hand and with their heart, and pay half of what the Zink will run you..
    I have plenty Zinks and AM NOT trying to sway you, but it gives you something to think about.

6. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

Don't waste the money on a $100+ call when a $20-50 call will do just the same. Lots of call companies make plastic calls with the same dam guts in the more expensive calls. Personally if your just starting out I would pick up a Canada Hammer or RNT Goosezilla, both had standard clucker guts last time I checked and honestly you won't be able to tell the difference....for the average caller spending the extra $100+ is just for the "bling" value and nothing more IMHO.

Goosezilla at cabelas

Canada Hammer at Cabelas

7. commander019

commander019 Elite Refuge Member

You can get your hands on most acrylic calls in the pawn shop for $80-$90 as well. Go try a few and buy a used one in the pawn shop if you don't want to drop $125+ on a new one.

8. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

A friend of mine has one. It was very hard to run well when he got it. Then, he took it up to Zink's shop and it was discovered that the reed was shaved improperly. They quickly fixed it and it's a very easy call to run now.

That's the problem with buying calls off the shelf, you don't know if the call sounds bad because of the call or the way it has been set up, or readjusted, while waiting to be sold.

If you can, buy it straight from the maker, and tell him what you want so it can be set up that way. That's what I did with Mike Stelzner of C&S Custom Calls and I was so pleased with how the guts were adjusted for my needs that I bought 3 of the same model, but in different woods.

9. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

My thoughts are if you can run a SR goose call , for myself what it comes down to is how well the call fits my style ...... I like Zink calls but I hate the Lg bell on the end , because I don't have big hands it makes all the Zink calls w/ the lg bell it a bit more difficult to run .The Pm-1 has a smaller bell and fits my hand much better , I took my MM and shaved the bell off :D it worked so good I shaved the bells off my SR1 and LM-1 . Once you become proficient on a SR you will find that you can run a polycarbonate call , wood or an Acrylic and they should all sound like a goose ..... Practice is the key to running an SR ..... I think it comes down to the guy behind the call , not so much the call , Id start with a cheap one first and if you don't like it after you learn how to run it then step up to the higher end call .... either way it all comes down to personal preference ... I prefer Zink calls and their great customer service .......some others make good calls but lack the customer service part ...... there are a lot of good calls on the market to choose from ... ..just my 2 cents... I call geese not judges :D
    Good Huntn to Ya :tu

10. Lujack

Lujack Elite Refuge Member

I've run into some pretty bad callers, but is there really such a thing as a bad call?

Just buy a call and practice with it until you learn how to run it. You can take any darn call and tune it any darn way you want. I know guys who can tune up a K&H Magnum Clucker and run it far better than most folks can sound on any Zink call, or any other call for that matter.

As a beginner, you need to worry more about learning how to call than what type of call to learn on.