Zink Moneymaker

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Edisto ducks, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Don Dean

Don Dean Elite Refuge Member

There's no reason you have to spend 150.00 for a acrylic goose call! Take a look at the all acrylic goose calls offered by Buck Gardner, either the Grey Ghost or Honker Hammer there part of the "Workin Man series" they sell for 59.95 each. :tu

2. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

There was a guy a few years back who won a fairly big contest with a white PVC call. He literally built a call out of PVC pipe. Everybody called it it the "plumbers call"

And if you look at a halfbreed it's just a flute cut in half.....best hunting call ever made.

A short reed is a short is a short reed. Never understood the " my calling style" B.S.- if you can run a call, you can run any of them made.

3. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

The fallacy in that view is that it presumes that all people have the same coordination ... same air capacity .... same mouth size ...... same skill level and that the callers either have none, or are potential calling contest winners. That's just not the case. Some calls are easier to run than others. Some have more or less tonal range than others in the hands of a less than skilled user, some require more or less "off hand" control than others, etc.

I have scarring in my lungs from having had histoplasmosis years ago. I don't have the air volume that many calls require to be run properly. I couldn't run an original poly carb Super Mag or a Zink SR-1 with the original guts well, no matter how I adjusted them. Put some "easy blow" guts in the SR-1 and I can run it ... still has limited tonal range though. The poly carb Supermag was very hard to run and the sound sucked so bad I was going to throw it away. Had Mike Stelzner put in some of his broken in guts in it and it's turned into a very good call, easy to run and wide tonal range. Or, I can just get one of his Prophet models (I have 3 now) have him adjust the guts the same way, to use less air, and and they all have great sound and tonal range. The calls are not all the same, nor are they all easy for every one to run.

Sometimes you guys who have been at it for a long time forget that it's not as easy for the rest of us as it is now for you.

4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

I'll give you that.....and I'll change my statement..

They are all basically the same with some tuning to fit the user.

Mike didn't change the design of the call, he put different guts in it for you and probably shaved the reed paper thin.

If you grabbed a bore mic and 40-50 calls from 10 different makers it is scary how similar they all are and how many are bascially duplicates of somebody else's call.

5. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

I would expect that you are probably correct insofar as similarity of the bores. One of the reasons I decided to send the polycarb Supermag to him was because it's bore, though flared a bit on the insert, length of the insert and barrel were within about 1/4" each, of the Prophet model I had. I thought if his guts worked in a Prophet, it might also work in a polycarb Supermag .. and it did.

But, he did more than just shave the reed a bit, not much, though (he did that for the Supermag, but not for the others). He removed some material from the top of all the tone boards to lower the reed closer to the channel and provided an E3 reed, instead of the standard Easy Set reed. The tone board was one of his broken in versions of the Easy Set guts, which he used in the Prophet call before he started casting his own tone boards.

I can get 5 different pitches of clucks, yet still get good moans out of his calls. There may be other calls out there which could be as versatile for me ....but I haven't found them yet. After I found the Prophets with Mike's adjustments, I stopped looking.

I suppose it's something like driving a race car .... some guys have the talent to drive anything well. Others of us need as much help from the car and car builder as we can get to struggle through the race. I'm one of those who need as much help from the equipment as I can get.;)

6. burns_312

burns_312 Banned

Would you suggest a guide to teach me to call? Can they teach me in Arkansas?

7. Edisto ducks

Edisto ducks Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the reply Don. This was an informative thread until this little quip Burns---That's obnoxious

8. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

BBW, there are lots of times I agree with your opinions, but not this time. While in basic principle a short reed is a short reed, and I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but the internal bore dimensions of the mouthpiece and endpiece all contribute to how a call operates. A call with a short, compact mouthpiece will operate very differently from one with a long, voluminous mouthpiece. Yeah, a proficient operator will still make them both sound like a goose, but the novice will hear/feel a difference.

9. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

A lot of great info here. I have a LM; all I can add is Zink calls are fairly easy to operate with some practice and it will grow with you. And Zink has (IMHO) one of the best instructionals on the market on how to blow his calls. So that is a plus.

Call me nuts, but I do notice a slight difference in the response between polycarb and acrylic. Maybe it's a difference in guts, maybe I'm goofy, whatever....just my observation with the calls I've tried. From a practical standpoint, unless you're a contest caller (which I'm not), I don't think the difference between the two warrant the extra $100. That being said, although I don't need acrylic,I buy them anyway....just because I want to. I don't need 10 calls sitting around or a safe full of guns either, but I do. So the material choice is basically a matter of preference, not necessity.

Like others have recommended...if you can, it's best try before you buy. When you try one that really fits you and your style, you'll know.