Zip tie leg band?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by kyfowler, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Phil Hudson

Phil Hudson Refuge Member

Obviously any fowl could come from a pen. What I heard was that some universities had put zip ties on geese along with regular bands because leg bands wear off and collars will crack and fall off. A zip tie will last much longer than either of those. Whether what I heard is true or not,
    I have no proof. Its just what I heard.

2. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Shot a honker in Ontario sept season that had a clear zip tie on it.

3. feetdownshooter

feetdownshooter Senior Refuge Member

It's very interesting that you did shoot a goose with a zip tie it I have never seen or heard of anyone doing this I would recommend is to go to a game biologist in your area and ask them be interesting to see what you come up with for a answer

4. Birdsgalore

Birdsgalore New Member

Exactly what it is. I raise waterfowl of all breeders and Canada's and mallards are often a "come and go bird" they arent a highly priced bird to replace and it's the enjoyment of watching them fly into our ponds that keeps alot of us in the business. I currently have 2 breeder pairs that leave for the winter and return each spring to nest. And they should be showing up soon if they survived. We use the color ties to keep true breeder pair identification and help from selling off a mate since most geese for life. We band ducks the same but in order to keep hatchlings separate and prevent in breeding. I'm familiar with a guy that uses a number system on cable ties and can't say that he's the only one but he's the only one I've seen in my 14 years of business and he is from valley springs south Dakota. Big Canadian breeder and sells to stromsburg hatchery or at least last I knew. Myself use regular leg bands and wing clip tags. I've been wanting to have some fun with it and release several breeds banded to conduct my own survey and think putting prizes out for certain bands such as decoys, guns, gift cards, and guided hunts away. Plus knowing that I be giving back to the sport of hunting which is all that I find myself thinking of and it's not just a sport it's a way of life. Only reason I haven't been able to is mainly sponsorship and funds myself. I've raised and released pheasants and quail and chucker for years and have done shoots where I'd let a golden or mutant go and there was a shotgun as a price if someone shot it during the days hunt but that was all outta my pocket but it was an enjoyment and It was a memory worth buying. But good luck and hunt safe.

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Not zip ties but remember back in the 80's seeing Canadas at a local park that had colored wire springs around one leg. This was at the tail end of a project to establish a resident flock. Other birds had metal leg bands and white neck collars. Boy, did those white neck collar birds take it on the chin out on the lake.