Zip Ties

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by RebsBud, Aug 21, 2008.

1. duckalot

duckalot Senior Refuge Member

I work for a Telecommunications company and we could not get along with out them. If your using them outside stay away from the white or Translucent ones, they won't last in the sun. Oh and the black shiny ones, you can hit them with a spray can of OD Green and it will stick for a long time. :yes

2. HIGHBALLS

HIGHBALLS Elite Refuge Member

Last time I was at Home Depot, they had packs of a thousand 11" black zips for just $29. Not the shiny ones either. Don't know whether they're UV stabilized or not, but at that price for 1000 of 'em, who cares?

3. rc2125

rc2125 Senior Refuge Member

I use thousands of zip ties, outdoors, .....thomas & betts brand. "telecom cable tie" "black" "outdoor" types, they last for many years in direct sunlight. Some are shiny, some are matte black. Alot has to do with they're weight rating and the good ones have a metal tooth that locks the zip tie.

4. Save the Cormorant

Save the Cormorant Elite Refuge Member

zip ties and duck tape.....I consider that a long term investment

5. westerndigger

westerndigger Senior Refuge Member

WHATS NOT TO LOVE
    man they can help you out in a hart bet, i'v used them out in the woods when my boot string broke run them through the eyes work tell i got back to the truck :tu

6. fishmagnet04

fishmagnet04 Senior Refuge Member

Having spent the last 15 years in the injection molding field and even had breifly molded zip ties I can tell you that the strength is all in the kind of plastic that is used. Most are made from a Nylon 6 material which will withstand most conditions. Unfortunately the manufacturers don't advertise what material they use on the labels. If you burn one with a lighter and it melts quickly, catches fire and produces a black smoke then it is probably made from an ABS or Polypropylene. (Not Strong)

7. scrounger

scrounger Senior Refuge Member

the black ties are uv protected so they will outlast the whit by a very long time. look for the "contractor" bags at home depot or lowes they are they best buys on them.

8. Gobbler

Gobbler Elite Refuge Member

I am a "zip strip aholic." I use them for lots of things. It is incredible how often I use them and I have stashes everywhere from my pickup truck to my backpack. I just asked a generic question on the WA site about other uses of zip stips! I agree with Save the Cormorant on how important zips & duck tape is!

9. Crazyotto

Crazyotto Elite Refuge Member

I sell them for a living - which doesn't necessarily make me an expert, but heres my two cents.

The most important thing to remember is they are a living breathing object. Lack of moisture is the greatest cause for failure. When the are bought in bulk and repackaged they are exposed to the elements thus drying them out. You can bring them back to life. Soaking them in water will re-hydrate them and keep them from snapping. Keep them out of sun and heat. Keep them sealed in a ziplock if possible....couple drops of water in the bag also helps. Also try and keep their temperature from the extremes...zip ties kept in -20 are more likely to fail. If it is that cold, put them on your person for a half hour before using them.

And only use the black all weather ties. The whites have no use for us guys. Also look at the tensile strength, you can buy them in standard or heavy duty. If you have alot of money check out the tyrap style they actually have a metal components to the locking mechanism..

sorry this is so convoluted-hope it helps, ill now go take my ADD medicine..

10. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

We go to the hvac supply store and get black 36 inch zip ties to put on cedars and pines to the cattle panels we have on our blinds. Fifty in a bag for $ 8.50. Tensile strength 275 pounds.