Ziploc Omelet

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by ALduckhunter, Jun 6, 2006.

1. ALduckhunter

ALduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

Tried this tonight and believe me it works great, give it a try. I would suggest that you use a spatula under the bag to help lift it out of the water. Original message ZIPLOC OMELET

(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!) Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker. Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them. Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc. Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up. Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water. Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed. Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece. Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 13 minutes, you got a nice omlette for a quick breakfast!!!

2. benelli man

benelli man Senior Refuge Member

That is a great idea for the blind.Thanks

3. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

NMothing to say -YET BUT i find this hard to believe-years ago i worked in research on original Boil in bag concept for reataurants at Cornell Univ--Stuff never as good as from scratch- but we'll see.To be continued

4. HIGHBALLS

HIGHBALLS Elite Refuge Member

This does work really well! I tried it the other night....crispy bacon, green peppers, onions, monterey jack, some jalapeno juice. It was awesome! I added some half/half to the mix, to fluff the omelet up a little, which added 4.5 minutes. BTW, sandwich sized bags work fine too. Used barbeque tongs to get the bags out.

Coot,

No kidding, it really does work. Try it!

HIGHBALLS

5. JJ McGuire

JJ McGuire Elite Refuge Member

I am going to give this a try.

6. Dogg

Dogg Senior Refuge Member

Do you cook all the "other" things peppers, onions..yatta... before you boil the omelit?

7. Bushwacker

Bushwacker Senior Refuge Member

No need to cook anything before hand. It all gets cooked in the boiling water. This is a great recipe. We use it camping, ice fishing, and on hunting trips. Nice and easy and not a lot of clean up work.

8. Dogg

Dogg Senior Refuge Member

I did a western yesterday and I must say it was really good... I was impressed with the quality and taste.

9. ALduckhunter

ALduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

Great Dogg!! Glad you liked it!!!:tu

10. Pine

Pine Elite Refuge Member

tried it out -GREAT!!!!!!
    i put in 3 eggs, onion,green pepper,bacon bits,shot of milk ,salt,and pepper
    used a sandwitch zip lock bag

best thing since wheat bread:tu :tu