ZipLocks vs Pelican's: Trouble in the Field

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by stuwest, May 3, 2007.

1. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

Well, in the 35+ years I've been shooting I've had a LOT of camera bags and boxes.

So, as I got around to making a home for my precious little D200s and their lens-buddies, I was torn.

I've had halliburtons, pelicans, 1/2 dozen custom bags/boxes, etc.

And, the D200s, well they just aren't as weatherproof as the old Nikon Fs... It's just so. They just seem more delicate than an old F1.

(Goll, I even used an old F1 as a mace to save my life in Peru once, but that's another story, and a true one, I might add. Ever seen a watermelon explode??)

So, looking at the 'WeatherProof Wonder' (a D200), i thought that the principle problems were going to be, in order:

1) Dust, dust, dust

2) Vibration

3) Water

So, in the end, I decided to go with a 500 denier canvas bag, with 2 foam layers (masonite beneath) and pull ears on the uppper layer.

Now, this gave me Vibration protection OTA, and reasonable dust protection, if I kept it zipped up.

But, it gave me very little water protection. (other than using ziplocks, and you know how convenient THAT is...)

So my question is: What kinda problems (with the above elements or others) HAVE you had and what cases/bags WERE you using??

Cost is really not a consideration here, of course, and I can use my empty pelicans, but they are so HARD on my hips, even with all the "buffer" I am carrying.

Again, we are talking about shooting in some pretty rough weather. These things need to be 870 Tuff...

2. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

I use a backpack for every day carrying around,but,If the weather is crappy or if my camera and gear is going on a boat or plane ride,they go in my Pelicans.:tu

3. terryger

terryger Elite Refuge Member

i've got a couple of pelican cases and some smaller "pistol type" cases as well as an old padded taklebox case for everyday use on my 20d's and my big lenses.

i have heard this discussed here before but i gotta say.

call me odd but i NEVER take my good cameras with me when i am hunting or stand out in the pouring rain with them. :no

i see no reason. when i am shooting a gun i shoot a gun and when i am shooting a camera i am shooting a camera.

my main areas of photographic interest are not found in hurricanes or downpours.:no

i do keep some large ziplock bags tucked into each case on the odd chance i ever get caught in a cloudburst, but since i was little, unless i was hunting, i've always had the good sense to come in out of the rain.

usually a half hour before it gets there:l

even with this shot, it was this little lad that was out in the weather scrounging for a bite. i was under the patio roof with a cup of coffee and a bagle;)

[​IMG]

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Elite Refuge Member

Have you ever considered an OtterBox? They make waterproof cases of all types and sizes. I have one for my cell phone, wallet and keys for when I am out hunting and one for my Camera. They seal water tight and FLOAT. You can even get foam inserts inside them for the vibration issue. GREAT product!!

Since they are not a sponser here I dont want to be accused of Spamming, all I can say is do a google search on Otterbox and you'll find them or you could simply go to wwwdototterboxdotcom (like how i got around the link thing to avoid spam? ;) )

5. HBar

HBar Elite Refuge Member

Ditto for the OtterBox in wet situations. Bullitproof. :tu One thing I learned the hard way using the Otters is if you fly in an unpressurized plane, crack the box before takeoff because it will acclimate to altitude but not when you decend, making it very difficult to open.

Nice hummer shot.

6. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

Terry-
    I haven't lost all my common sense (unless you ask my wife...)

I sell a VERSATILE dog. That's one that can hunt in stormy/rainy weather, ducks, etc.

So, getting pictures of such is just part of presenting my product properly.

To just shoot on warm sunny days, WILL sell to the housewives, but it's my job to give daddy some ammo in the argument also...

So, I will be shooting in full downpours if the situation presents itself.
    Here's a 'for instance':

[​IMG]

This photo was shot under "impending" conditions. If the weather worsened, it quite probably would have added a lot to the shot. I would have welcomed it.
    PS- Notice the influence of panoramics on my photography?? If I weren't selling dogs, I would have cropped this right under the ring in his collar and taken off a bunch of sky also...

7. terryger

terryger Elite Refuge Member

stu, i've got a couple of dogs myself and one of them really is a "versatile". but we'll leave that argument for a thread on the dog page :l

these shots are what the 5mp point and shoot is for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i save the good cameras for nice day demos

[​IMG]

8. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Now that's what I'm talking about, a versatile dog! :dv

Love them shortairs!

Doug

Nice pics Stu and Terry!