Zone A deer hunting, Knoxville WLA

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Blondski135, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Blondski135

Blondski135 Refuge Member

Spent 2 weekends at Knoxville WLA and was absolutely astounded by the sheer number of people driving up and down the road with loaded rifles in the passenger seat.

Spent the energy to get as far from the road as possible and not going over the easterly WLA property line. Only to have 2 different groups of hunters come walking up the trail I blazed on 2 separate hunts. Spooked one doe, on my walk out, was bedded at noon, figures because it was over 100 degrees

then the second weekend i spent my time low and close to the road along the river bed. Saw about a dozen doe but not even one buck, much less one to pass on and hope for a good one :[

disappointing to say the least, i realize im a person out there hunting, but damn, too many people haha

2. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

And now there will be more. Good job :nutz:nutz

Blondski135 likes this.
  3. Mike R

Mike R Senior Refuge Member

Any public land in CA is gonna have some people, but Knoxville is especially crowded due to the proximity to the Bay Area.

As far as people driving with rifles, how did you know they were loaded? I have been known to drive with an unloaded rifle next to me with rounds in my pocket whilst looking for deer. Not sure what's wrong with that.

4. Blondski135

Your right, i assumed they were loaded. it just seems like having it out and ready to go ur probably not gonna get out of ur car and get the proper distance from the roadway to make a legal shot

5. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to deer hunting on public land in Ca. You saw deer..far from a disappointment in my opinion.

Dandy

Blondski135 likes this.
  6. Blondski135

Dandy, your outlook on the situation is nice to hear. The doe were very nice looking, healthy and for a good hour a pair of doe stood about 70 feet from me and they are pretty funny to watch. The poor animals have to deal with the flys and mosquitoes all day, they have those huge ears and they were all flopping around shaking off the bugs every 10 seconds, pretty comical

7. Bunkhouse

Bunkhouse Elite Refuge Member

Several years ago a friend invited me to go for a ride with him after a snow storm looking for deer. He has the keys to many locked gates that belong to a logging company so we could get away from the road hunters. As you can imagine the weather brought out a ton of hunters. As we were going from one place to another we were driving on a dirt logging road and coming from the other way was a large SUV with four guns sticking out the windows, two on each side. Probably the most flagrant road hunters I have ever seen. Where is the game warden when you need him.

Buttesmacker and Blondski135 like this.
  8. Dexter

Dexter Senior Refuge Member

have you changed your diaper since the hunt:(

mudhen likes this.
  9. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Depends...

10. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Well played.....:tu

upcedarcreek likes this.