Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

zone changes - the most likely outcome

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Avian Thunder II, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

Gents,
    It appears from other threads, that some folks visiting this site are confused about what can occur during this "change year." First, it is a 5-year election regarding the issues of a. the number of zones and b. zone boundaries...not cementing your start date for duck season for 5 years. Second, a state currently without four zones is not likely to receive the blessing of the USFWS or the MS Flyway Council (people are confused about MO - they ONLY have three duck zones - and they are wrestling with the same issues as IL - you should read their waterfowl web sites). I believe there are essentially two options that IDNR has available for consideration. The first option, and the one I suspect will prevail simply moves the northern boundary of the South Zone south (puts Rend and Carlyle into the Central Zone) and moves the southern boundary of the Northern Zone south (going to be harder to forge agreement on this one), yet retains the current 3-zone system without splits. The second option would be to move to a two-zone configuration - with splits possible in each zone. The BIG issues for this option would be the boundary line (dividing the N/S Zones) and the start dates for the respective zones.
    Since a number of persons have suggested Rt 136 as the separation line, let's use it for an example. How about a split season for the new Southern Zone with dates the folks south of Rt 13 would likely prefer and lobby for - say Nov 4-12 for the first leg, then close for 10 days, and reopen a 60-day season on Nov. 23 to finish on Jan 21 - daja vu. I suspect a majority of duck hunters on back water lakes on the IL river between 136 and I-72, plus duck hunters at Shelbyville, Decatur, Clinton, Jacksonville, Springfield, and other shallow water marshes in the northern half of the new zone would looooovvvveee these dates. If this senario played out, and the southern dudes (below 13) would push for it....watch the duckhunters from southwest IL (you know... the folks between Godfey south to Belleville) stand up and cheer - righttttttt!
    How about season dates for the new North Zone (Rt.136 to WI border) if IDNR adopts a two-zone-with-splits configeration? How about Oct 28 to Nov. 5 (9 days) for the opening segment, close for 12 days and reopen on Nov. 18 to finish on Jan. 6. These hypothetical dates for the new North Zone would be much more acceptable to the folks around the hot tubs and on the big rivers in the new zone - but many of those hunting above I-80 and other shallow water lakes throughout the zone would enjoy some excellent ice-skating opportunities. Consequently, if'n I was a betting man, I'd put my money on zone-boundary changes...and get some odds on the N/C Zone line switch. DNR WILL probably do something to avoid getting "beat-up-on" again next year. And I haven't even thrown Keck into the new South Zone equation...spose h'd opt for the hypothetical above? Maybe smarter minds than mine can figure out a better system than we currently enjoy; I suspect the "cure" might be more problematic then the problem. :)

2. 1GRN_HD

1GRN_HD Elite Refuge Member

Sounds good to me. :tu

I'm sick of dealing with the topwaters from the central zone moving into the so. zone after theirs closes. :mad:

3. Spag

Spag Senior Refuge Member

AT....pretty good analysis of the situation. It's hard to analyze your scenerio because there are a couple of flaws in your premise. The first and most obvious is that you're suggesting a 69 day season and that WON'T happen. Secondly, along the same line, is that we all tend to assume that the AHM system will continue to allow a 60 day season. The two zone system is not too unattractive if we are guaranteed a 60 day season but I fear that it would REALLY create a contentious situation if we get to a 45 or...God forbid...a 30 day season. The ideal thing is a fourth zone but I don't think we're going to get that. That leaves us with changing the boundaries. I think that is the easiest to do and the results, abiet still contentious, will ease some of the pain.

4. nuthin_but_green

nuthin_but_green Elite Refuge Member

This will be interesting to see how things come out. From everything I've read, it still looks like Carlyle and Rend will be inthe same zone. Lots of talk about going back to a 2 zone state with a spilt season. It doesn't matter what the next season dates are, it is still going to tick alot of guys off. The guys chasing the mallards usually want a later season, but not necessarily as late as this past season. The guys that want to shoot wood ducks, teal, and the early divers usually want an even earlier season than has been in years past.

The guys that want to hunt one area and one only will most likely get a freeze out during a 60 day season. If that season is backed up to "hopefully" avoid the "freeze up", you're looking at beginning early October. But then you'll have a season like in 1991 when there was a "freeze out" before the season started in the Southern Zone.

I figure if you get 30-45 days out of a 60 day season, you're doing good. Mother Nature can be a b!tch most times, so most will either have to be more flexible in the areas they choose to hunt...or miss out.

What it comes down to is the season will never be perfect. And from what is going around, the next season dates will stay the same for 5 years.

5. foo

foo Banned Forever

1) carlyle and rend must stay in the same zone for the obvious reason that carlyle can not take any more hunting pressure than it already has, period. AND IT MUST NEVER BE STAKED!!!!

2) carlyle and rend inside the central zone is no big deal AS LONG AS THE START DATE FOR THE CENTRAL ZONE IS MOVED BACK TO NO SOONER THAN FIRST WEEK OF NOVEMBER

3) armistice day timeframe is historically the first big push of mallards.......do you really want the two biggest public hunting areas in the state closed during that timeframe?

my opinion, the root cause of illinois problems with this issue isn't necessarily the south south guys wishes......it's the weenies in the central zone in their river blinds that want to shoot spoonies in october......:yes

6. nuthin_but_green

nuthin_but_green Elite Refuge Member

Uh oh...

7. honknxs

honknxs Elite Refuge Member

If the "south guys' wishes" were NOT a factor...
    we prolly would NOT be havin' dis discussion! :dv

8. foo

foo Banned Forever

well honx, that's prolly true........BUT the south south guys obviously had a say so didn't they? I just don't understand why the central zone guys couldn't live with a later opener........I guess all my central zone buds are the minority but they always say the hunting is best late, and wish it wouldn't close right around xmas either........and I'm talking all the way up to peoria area too......:cool:

9. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Twenty years ago at DOC meetings I suggested splits in the zones when it was a 30-day season and you would have thought I urinated on the Pope...

10. foo

foo Banned Forever

split's aren't the best answer today either, however they are better than what we were stuck with this last season........I guess today it would be like urinating on a cardinal or so, not the pope........