Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

zone changes - the most likely outcome

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Avian Thunder II, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 1GRN_HD

1GRN_HD Elite Refuge Member

mm, forget him. He's had the best season ever this year. Wow! He's been hunting all of 5 years. :rolleyes:

It's topwaters like that ruining the sport based on what they've seen the last 10 minutes. Hopefully motorized crap will be banned soon and he can go back to playing xbox in the fall. :yes

2. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

1GRNHD, I'm just trying to get everyone to look at their season & see if the later season really helped them. This really works if somebody is hunting the same general area for the complete season. Fact is, how was yer last two weeks. I would like to examine all the "duck" clubs kill sheets, to see how there harvest was the last two weeks.

Fact is Rend set a harvest record this year. Probably a 15% to 20% increase over the next largest year. Fact is Rend had a very poor last ten days. No tellen how good it would have been had we opened two weeks earlier & participated in the four flight days.

I feel everybody is confusing the "good" season with season dates. Did season dates have any bearing on our "good" season. It seems everybody in the Mississippi flyway had a "good" season.

3. foo

foo Banned Forever

avian thunder, you just went from mere sinner to like hitler or jeffry dahmer or something like that! Good lord son, if carlyle was in the central with the splits that you proposed that's one thing, but if it was in the south with the dates you proposed, you're azz would be hung in effigy!!!! :fp

4. foo

foo Banned Forever

the first day I even hunted in this God forsaken state this year was the first weekend in january.....and I only hunted 4 times until the close. Under NORMAL WEATHER CONDITIONS......I would not have even stepped foot in the marsh this year, unless I was wearing ice skates.........I felt like the 4 hunts I had were all bonus and I took what mother nature gave me.......hunting reverse migrators that had seen and heard it all..............mother nature was kind to me this year
    IN SPITE OF THE IDIOT/CROOKED HNWIC'S IN SPRINGFIELD......

5. ganderkillr13

ganderkillr13 Senior Refuge Member

Foo,

It is even worse than you think. His examples are for 2 zones in IL.
    A North & a South. Now what do you think.

6. Bo

Bo Senior Refuge Member

My take is that everyone is only looking at last season. I am currently researching the last 10 seasons . I don't have it completed for my area yet so I can't really coment to much. I hunt Sanganois. I can tell you that in 04 We flooded out after28 days and last year we froze out after 31days. Last year was one of the coldest Nov.s' on record and the 3td warmest Jan. on record. I don't think that baseing the seasons on those 2 years would be good sense. I have also taken 30yr average temp. data from the Ill. water Survey to get a feel for that. It is eyeopening. I also tried to find the average freeze up and because the water survey says they can't ACCURATLY predict this it isn't included. My pitch here is to use more than a couple of years of data. For the newer hunters that don't have 40 or so years in field experience these data bases will give you a good base of reference. Please try to make informed decisions and not just what was good last year. My$.02 worth

7. foo

foo Banned Forever

I should clarify myself; my normal M.O. is to bow hunt until thanksgiving. I rarely if ever duck hunt before then and I avoid the south zone opener because it's not duck hunting, it's a dove shoot with waders. I generally will duck hunt illinois between thanksgiving and christmas, and after christmas I generally hunt in arkansas or the bootheel. Obviously for me, this year I couldn't hunt anywhere between thanksgiving and christmas due to freeze up and also because I had a newborn baby at home and made some serious promises (which included my nut sack) to the new wife, and couldn't make the long trips from home. This year, mother nature was so freakish that the ducks were actually poring out of arkansas on a reverse migration in january, and I cancelled 2 trips and opted to stay here and take what mother nature gave me. I however, would always prefer to be in arkansas or the bootheel in january if I can at all pull it off. There is no comparison between those areas and the charlie foxtrot that is and always will be illinois public duck hunting. The SIQZ club owners and their bubblers can eat tha peanuts outta my poop for all I care.......I won't normally be here. BUT, that doesn't mean I won't fight for what I think is some sane decisions on zone boundries and season dates, because I do still hunt illinois, and God love her, she's like that first good lay but the ****** ended up going off the wagon.....I still love her. :cry :l

8. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

Foo Foo
    I didn’t “PROPOSED” any splits for any zones – as GK13 observed and reported – they were ONLY EXAMPLES and NOT anything I endorsed as I made plain in both of my earlier posts. I corrected my initial EXAMPLE after - Spag pointed out my bad math – in order to show very dramatically how a 2-zone-with-splits framework could exacerbate (make worse) an alleged problem (late season) IF the splits were to result in a season consisting of Nov. 4-12 / Dec.1 through Jan. 21 (the kind your buds in the south part of your existing zone might prefer). Tongue-in-cheek (facetiously) I said ole foo-foo would grove on the even later season. Now before you get your shorts any further wadded up in a snit because you believe I PROPOSED those dates for the SZ as my preference, recognize (IT’S AN EXAMPLE, NOT A PREFERENCE – READ FOR COMPREHENSION) and let me explain how your obvious lobbying for mid-Nov. to early Jan. dates for Rend/Carlyle might be construed/interpreted/viewed as very similar to, or identical with, the behavior of the folks endorsing a late season for the part of IL south of Rt. 13 (folks I believe you currently disagree with). From your earlier posts, I believe you have made it abundantly clear that you A. want Rend/Carlyle in the same zone and prefer season dates for that zone to occur earlier than the dates of last year, B. you would ACCEPT placing Carlyle/Rend in the CZ, retaining the current 3-zone system, and have the CZ duck season begin about Nov. 7 (Veterans Day is your reference point) and extend past Dec. and into early Jan. (probably safe to assume you mean the first week of January), and C. get blinded by your focus on Rend/Carlyle when you say – “after further, further review, if Carlyle and Rend were a) thrown in the central zone, and b) these were the days of the splits” (Oct 28 / Nov 5 and Nov 18 to Jan 6 - my example for the NORTH ZONE in a 2-zone configuration) ….. “BUT ONLY IF I WAS GIVEN THE SPLIT.” Foo-foo, if you reference the CZ, splits ain’t possible (more than 2 [/B]zones, no splits – that option, while acceptable to you, is not feasible.
    If DNR does nothing and leaves Rend/Carlyle in the SZ, you have to wrangle with the money boys and fight the political battle. If DNR opts for a 2-zone-with-splits configuration, nothing changes (Déjà vu) since Carlyle/Rend will still be in the new SZ with folks in the deep south wanting a season start date as late as possible (they might give you 5 days on the front and then crank her up in Dec…..again, I like to call that one Deja Vu (and the reason for my example above which got you all discombobulated!). The final option, for the Rend/Carlyle impoundments involves moving the current SZ boundary line north to place Carlyle/Rend in the Central Zone (retain the current 3-zone system with no splits); however, you would be emphatic in your argument to begin the CZ season no earlier than the 6/7 of November and continue to the first week of January. As the new members in the lower 1/3 of the CZ, you now wish to conduct your duck season relatively late in the calendar year....JUST LIKE THE FOLKS IN THE LOWER HALF OF THE SOUTHERN ZONE LAST YEAR. Further, would your proposed dates be acceptable to many folks who hunt ducks in the CZ in areas between I-74 and I-80 (the upper 35-40% of the CZ). One poster to this thread who lives in the middle of that area – Danny Newell – already told you he considers any days after T-day to be bonus days. With your season dates, Danny may get, at best, a 3-week duck season; hell, he’ll probably want to sell the boat. I referenced the I-74 to I-80 area (upper portion of the CZ) because of your post where you inquired, while responding to honknsq…..

foo-foo, the Central Zone extends well beyond Peoria (I-74), in fact, as you know, it extends to I-80 and the portion of the CZ between I-74 and I-80 involves a lot of duck hunters. I can tell you, unequivocally, that many of them - like Mr. Newell - would not be enamored with your choice. Finally, I find it ironic that you blame - in your first post on this thread - "the weenies in the CZ that want to hunt spoonies in Oct." and not on the "south guys wishes." Are not each of the groups you identify expressing preferences - with little or no compromise? Again, you - like the folks in the south part of the SZ last year - would be quick to accept a season that is ideal for conditions in the lower 25-40% of the zone; possibly at the expense of those who hunt shallow water lakes and marshes in the upper part of your zone.

foo-foo, sorry if my words appear harsh and judgmental....my intent is to continue to provide information that might help others understand how change could impact duck hunting in all parts of IL, AND to attempt to make you sensitive to the need to be willing to compromise and disucss options openly..........even, as you admit, yous dontsss hunts verby mch in IL :) :)

9. foo

foo Banned Forever

lessee here, I think I'm following you.......and you ain't hurting my feelings one bit......but yes, right on the mark for A and B. For C, I think I mis-spoke, What I meant was if there was a 2 zone (north and south only) with splits, I could live with carlyle and rend in the new north zone, with the oct 28th thru nov 5th first split and the nov 18th thru jan 6th second split. but again ONLY IF THEY DID THE SPLIT!!! (otherwise, carlyle and rend would close way too soon)

I think if I had to make the choice using your quote from above, I would choose in this order (because I'm mostly concerned with the carlyle/rend region).....A, C, or B. (while B works just fine for me, I think I won't win that debate because of the central zone guys wantin' to smack spoonies in october!!)

I could not however, live with carlyle and rend in the new south zone with the split dates you proposed. That would be a catastrophically bad idea for those two impoundments. :fp

10. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

foo-foo
    If you want to put Carlyle/Rend into the North Zone of a new, 2-zone-with splits configuration with a NZ that would then extend from WI to Rt 13, I suspect some folks on this site will pay to have you examined. If you think they might hang me in effigy in the deep south, I would be afraid some folks in the Rockford area might execute a contract on the foo-foo :eek: