Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

zone changes - the most likely outcome

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Avian Thunder II, Feb 9, 2006.

1. foo

foo Banned Forever

example, proposal.....For the sake of argument, it don't matter what you call it. The rockford boys, and the marion boys want what they want, but the carlyle/rend crowd represents by far the two biggest state sites with a very large number of hunter/days. I don't really know what can be done to help the poor rockford crowd.......they ain't got no ducks anyway comparatively speaking......and I don't really give a crap about the marion club owners and their bubblers. I do understand the guys that want basically an indiana ohio river zone........why wouldn't they? they're right on the same river!! :grvn

but in the end, it should be whatever sites have the most hunter/days that carry the weight.......like I said, I don't even duck hunt in illinois much anymore, maybe that's why I'm able to put aside all the regional wants and wishes and say look, what are the two biggest state areas, with the most hunter days........why don't we figure out what's best for them first, and satisfy the largest swath of public hunter/users in one shot.......not the private guys, not the comparatively small number of guys that hunt rivers in way north illinois....no, the big spots in terms of hunter days in the field........I have 20 years experience in these areas, and I can speak with some sense of history.......if you leave the dates the way they were for
    2005-2006 then your two biggest areas in terms of hunter usage are at severe risk for losing half of a 60 day season to freeze out. Period. Don't blame the messenger.....it's just the way it is.:yes

2. ganderkillr13

ganderkillr13 Senior Refuge Member

Foo, Ever heard of Miss pool 12 & 13. Up around the Rockford area. Well further west. All public access other than no hunt refuge portions, and I'll bet with just as many or more hunter/days as the Rend/Carlyle sites you are implying should have a stronger voice. I think you should reconsider!

As far as a 2 zone with split idea. I could live with a very large NZ then a small SZ just below the Rend/Carlyle subs. BUT, only if the feds allow 2 splits. I do not know if this is possible.

If it is first split: Oct 22-24 for us northern guys this would be 1 week later than traditional opener

second split: Nov 4-12 when we normally have a good push of birds & from reading this post a traditional approx opening date that current CZ guys & sub hunters could live with.

balance of season: Nov. 18 - Jan 5 if I counted my days correctly.

I am usually froze out after Thanks weekend but then we get a warm-up in mid to late Dec. so way up north would not lose too many days.

Only one MAJOR problem. This only works for a 60 day season. What happens if we get a 45 day or 30 day season. What we have may not be great but may be the best we can do & allow for different length seasons.

3. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

For the misinformed mullet/gadhead father/son duo. I have been hunting 44 years. I have been hunting in IL for 5. If only hunting in IL qualifies me as a hunter then you are right as always. If not, well.....

4. oxbow hunter

oxbow hunter Elite Refuge Member

If everybody wishin' I have one that everybody would agree on ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I WISH SEASON OPENED NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!:clap

5. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Who else received an IL waterfowl survey???????????:dv :dv I may have to post a new poll to see how many had a heart attack with the question of zones and splits!!:eek: :eek: :dv

6. discusdad

discusdad Elite Refuge Member

it ain't illinois, now its montana, and glad of it
    i have seen NO surveys. never have either. i heard they don't send em out to any zip code 2 miles away from a commercial club.....

7. twelvegauge

twelvegauge Senior Refuge Member

I got a survey oh....'bout 6 yrs ago. Only one ever.

8. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Wel unless they are considering my little 40 acre lease commercial someone must have dropped the ball because I got one today!!:eek: I don't think this board could withstand the beotching and moaning if I posted their proposal asthe question seems to dictate. One things for sure the rivers would be full from all the crying up north!!!!!!!!!!:l :yes :l

9. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

DD, ifn ya researched where they sent them last year you would understand the results. Sistribution was tainted toward south :confused: Makes ya think they wanted it to come up with a desired result.

Dickman, I have never said you have not been hunting long. However, what I have said is for somebody which has hunted Illinois for only a short period, you are an "expert" Thus, my referals to the "Duck God of Southern Illinois" That being said, we are still waiting on yer results?

10. cutemclose

cutemclose Elite Refuge Member

I have gotten one the last two years. I haven't seen one yet this year...maybe I'm not far enough south.:confused: