Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Zone Changes

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by DUCK, Feb 24, 2006.

1. DUCK

DUCK Senior Refuge Member

After reading R. Marshala's recent report on this years goose season , I am troubled . It seems with the present quota -zone system we left 11% of our geese on the table --unharvested !!!!

I propose that we go to a call in system for all geese harvested , no matter where. Do away with quota zones as such . For example , The state gets 89,000 birds to harvest , You harvest a goose --you call it in perod..The HIP numbers could be used to regulate and keep control over abusers.

Now fellows don't condem this to fast .....If the present system is kept in place , a two zone confirmation such as Mr. Marshala is backing with the boundry at Rt.136 goes into affect , think about this ::

Most of the recent high goose kill areas would be in the north zone . This would be a complete disaster if we were to have a harsh winter in the north part of the state...The present South zone only killed 4084 of 8200 this year.. It would be possible to loose much quota to other states ..

In closing ,I believe this is as important as changing zone boundrys . Duck and goose season could be set using either the present or a new 3 zone system or a new 2 zone configuration . We are in the 21st. century and I think its tme to toss the old and break out the new....

Thanks for listening .....DUCK

2. The Yeti

The Yeti Elite Refuge Member

Heard some talk that at the latest flyway meeting all signs pointed to no quota zones for next season.
    Don't quote me on that, but its what I heard.

3. FireDuck79

FireDuck79 Senior Refuge Member

Riding around on a Ladder Truck in Illinois
    If North/Central IL would have a harsh winter then it would go back to the way it used to be. They would migrate and South zone would kill more then the rest of the state. Thats far from a disaster.

4. DUCK

DUCK Senior Refuge Member

You could not be farther from wrong !! If that would happen with the present framework , the south sone would only be able to kill somewhere around 6,000 next year .........That would close their season...

Thanks ....DUCK

5. Banded Greenhead

Banded Greenhead Refuge Member

You have em' started now, Duck.

I'm certain you will get a lot of mileage out of this post! :)

It will be interesting to see how they divy up the zones, that's for certain - just don't try to rationalize with the state, too hard.

-John Denker

6. nuthin_but_green

nuthin_but_green Elite Refuge Member

I think the Central Zone is going to get bigger. This is not the direction we need to go, the Central is already way too large.

7. keith_scumline

keith_scumline Elite Refuge Member

If the central zone is to get bigger - then the central quota needs to get bigger.

8. CLS Posse

CLS Posse Elite Refuge Member

I agree DUCK. By leaving 11 % of our quota on the table you can bet that the other states in the MVP will be trying to get their hands on the 11 % that we didn't kill to add to their quota :no .

9. bogz

bogz Refuge Member

I hunt along the border of the northern zone and central zone. I hope they dont drop the northern zone further south. I hunt both zones right now and if this happens the areas i hunt will have the same opener instead of the current ten day difference. What I think should be done is there be a seperate zone that includes all of the northeastern counties lake, kendall,grundy etc. Those areas kill the most geese which takes quota numbers away from the rest of the northern zone.:confused:

10. chessieandducks

chessieandducks Elite Refuge Member

Geez, here we go again:z