Zone question

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by lipsmaker72901, Aug 13, 2006.

1. lipsmaker72901

lipsmaker72901 Elite Refuge Member

I know that it is a sore subject, but I was looking at the map and was wondering why they did the zone like they did. Whay not take a common rad that is in AR, i.e. I-40, and do North and south zones?

Just a question.

2. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

So far that is the unanswered question.... We all have our thoughts, but the AGFC has never given us a reason for it's art work.

I can assure you that the fact that they intended to have one zone open prior to the WOP fest.(in Stuttgart) and the other after had some bearing on where the lined ended up at. It may not be the only reason, it may not be the biggest reason, but you can bet you butt it was a reason.:yes

3. lipsmaker72901

I was just tying to put a little logical thinking into it. Oh i forgot we are talking about a govt agency. LOGIC is not in the dictionary!!

4. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

They have stated that Zone 2 gets alot if it ducks from the Central flyway, which I would say they do, but those Central flyway ducks will and do use the AR river as a Hwy...I'm betting that once a duck flys to the end of the AR River he would be inclined to settle just as easily on the North side of the river as he would be to settle on the South side of it. That being what it is, tells me that this reason alone is not enough of a reason to have the zones drawn as they are, so as to have a LARGE majority of the Public areas in the North Zone, and a noticable few of size and notoriety in the South Zone.

5. 4hunting

4hunting Senior Refuge Member

In the letters I have sent to everyone that I could think of, I have expressed this same concern. The zones may have their place at some time in the future, but the zones as they are now do not seem to have any logic at all behind them for the average hunter that depends on public land as a place to hunt. I40 might be an option, but it run right threw the middle to 2 WMA's in central Arkansas making it a little harder to define. It also does not split up the public land equally in the North & South zones.

What I expressed to them is to consider a North/South line that follows Hwy. 64 East & West over to Conway and then either use I40 or the Arkansas River on westward from there. This would make it where at some point in time if zones were needed it would divide the public lands pretty equally between the 2 zones.

What confusses me is that when I had coversations with G&F Biologist this was also a plan that they thought would also be a better deal for everyone also!

And as a side bar, one of the Biologist pointed this out to me in a conversation, If the South zone is being formated to manage ducks from the Central Flyway then Why is the South Zone being regulated the same as the North zone which is being managed for birds from the Mississippi flyway? The other states that operate under the Central Flyway have greater limits, more days, & a would bunch of more liberal reg's than does the Mississippi Flyway does!

The whole logic behind this deal is about as clear as mud!!!!!!

6. lipsmaker72901

When is this meeting and is it open to the public?

I might just have to be there myself and have some rose colored glasses with me.

7. Big Gumbo

Big Gumbo Elite Refuge Member

I don't understand the zone lines, and that whole argument on the central flyway stuff is just wierd. I hunt the river and know when to hunt based on weather in the central zone, if anything it should be a east west zone and they should be fight for for central flyway status for the western zone, and that would give arkies more days afield also and give farmers more incentive to manage Ark river valley crop land for ducks better.

If you kill a duck in Vine Prairie, overwheming odds are it came from Oklahoma and not Stutgart