zoo shots... advice?

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by quivira kid, May 5, 2008.

1. quivira kid

quivira kid Elite Refuge Member

I plan on trying to learn this whole RAW thing this summer. For now, I shoot JPEG with the "P" setting. Any opinions on these? Slight crop on the vulture, more on the teal... other ones are full frame.

Kind of tried an abstract idea on this one...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. benelliduckman

benelliduckman Elite Refuge Member

3. Blue Moon

Blue Moon Senior Refuge Member

Well done Quivira Kid. The first one works well as an abstract but even with abstract as a goal, I’d like to see it a bit sharper. The next two rock. Well done on the portraits. I may have cropped the first portrait closer to the right edge and put the eye on the upper cross of the rules of third grid. While not always a rule of thirds fan, in this case I think it would work well.

The next two could use more light which will always be the most important ingredient in our realm. Also shooting the first two portraits at eye level really paid off when you compare them to your bottom two shots that you captured shooting from above. Often it helps to shoot eye level.

A lot of my press buddies still shoot in JPG. I’ve found that Lightroom allows you to do some good overall global changes even with JPGs but you have more control shooting RAW especially when you get into working with masks/layers.

Blue Moon

4. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Why are you shooting in "P" mode? Who is the photographer you or the camera? It's ok. It's the choice of most "soccer moms" out there!

Learn to experiment! Teach yourself AV and other modes. Otherwise, you have no control over what your intended results will be!

Dizzy

5. quivira kid

Thanks for the advice guys. Blue Moon, the first shot was inside and I was dealing with crappy lighting and a lens that wanted to fog up. The bluewing was in a shaded area and was a little ways away, so not the most ideal. I know I can get better!

Dizzy... :nutz soccer moms. I'll mess around with settings next trip for sure. I was with family, and they don't like to go my pace. :D I could sit in one spot watching 5 birds for over half an hour if I had a good angle and subjects. More to come, if you guys don't mind zoo shots!

6. HNTFSH

HNTFSH Senior Refuge Member

Quivira - Mrs. HNTFSH is the photographer at our house and after I wear her out on gundog photos she loves the zoo shots. :tu

As you see...I can relate. :yes

[​IMG]

7. quivira kid

Very cool! I've got some sweet lorikeet shots from our trip down to Oklahoma City this past summer. :tu

8. BIG BANG

BIG BANG Elite Refuge Member

is that a band on the leg that you can see???

9. pochunter

pochunter Senior Refuge Member

Sure looks like it!!

10. quivira kid

It was at a zoo.... they're all sporting at least 2.