Zoom Lens Help

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by sculpin67, May 3, 2009.

1. sculpin67

sculpin67 Senior Refuge Member

How high a power do I need to take nice pictures of ducks? Enough to get some detail, but not to a Pitboss level. I'm a total newbie, and just got a Nikon D40. It came with a 18-55 lens. I've done a little research and it looks like a 105 and 200 lens is available. Thanks in advance for any help

2. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

I would suggest lenses in the 300mm range for your D40. the 70-300 is an affordable and very sharp one to start with. Then you can go to the 300 prime, followed by the 80-400 and then the long primes.

3. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Geesh, I wonder if old Susky Gauge will ever reach the Pit Boss Level? Yall rekon he ever will?:joker

Brother Sculpin, on the Nikon Side, (The Dark Side) you need to look at the D300 or 700 as well!:fp

Anonymous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes

Sorry, I just could not resist!;)

4. sculpin67

sculpin67 Senior Refuge Member

OK - did some more research, and can get the 200mm for about $100. It looks like the 300mm is about $450 more. Since this is my first "real" camera, I'm leaning towards the 200mm. I'm assuming the 200mm will allow my to zoom in about 4x better than the 55mm - right?

5. stuwest

200mm will be 4x as close as the 55mm (or there abouts)

BUT, it won't be close enuf...

The 300 is just barely enuf. I also would not get a prime right away; the utility of the 70mm range will help you. And it should be in the price range of the 55-200 you were looking at.

After you know what you want, THEN get primes. The zooms will help you learn what you want/need.

Diz- leave the poor boy alone and go back to Tejas. I want gator shots...

6. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

200mm ain't enough. One a crop camera, think 400mm minimum.

7. stuwest

Quite probably true, but with a $300-$500 budget, a 300mm, with it's requisite cropping, isn't such a bad way to start. Spending $1000 to $1500 for the extra reach is pretty much a specialty item...

8. RiverWalker

RiverWalker Elite Refuge Member

If you have a $500 budget the best Nikon zoom lens you can get for that money is absolutely the 70-300mm VR. This is one of the best all around consumer lenses that Nikon makes at a very affordable price.

Nikon makes three versions of the 70-300mm. The only version you will be happy with for the next few years is the VR.

Check out www.dpreview.com
    or
    http://www.nikonians.org/forums/

Do some research and the decision will be easy.

:tu

Nikon D200
    Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 16-85mm VR
    Nikon 70-300mm VR

9. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

You guys with a tight budget make note to Pit Boss or Gauge type images and expect to pull these from a $200.00 lens or older body. You can get decent images from these if you hit your focus and exposure on the money and the lighting is all but perfect but this is about 10% of the time and then you guys are diassapointed.

You need to remember that these images you see from Jeff an others are by far from budget cameras and lenses. Jeff is swinging a $7000.00, 600mm Canon super tele on a damn near $4000.00 body.

We all do the best we can with the tools we have no matter what they cost.

My advice to you guys wanting to skimp here and there......Save your pennies for better a little longer.

Just a little dose of reality!

Dizzy

10. stuwest

Sure, Diz, it is going to be easier to get these shots with an $11k outfit (IF you want to do the learning curve thingy with them)

BUT, popping some of these $700 outfits onto manual and learning to shoot like you and I did as kids works too...

YES, not with a 60% success rate like an $11k rig will, but with your admitted 10% rate, that's not bad.

AND since erasing a hard drive is a lot easier than paying the film & processing bill like you and I had to do, what's to be lost??

AND, when the batteries go down on the mechanical megamonster cameras, what's to say that a few mechanical skills are not appreciated.

I even cook in cast ironware...