Zoom Lens Help

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by sculpin67, May 3, 2009.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Point taken,,,but you and I have years of this under our belts as well. You also know that I probaly shoot in manual as you do as well. My simple point was to buy the best glass possible and as funds will allow, but if it's jsut a few bucks more save a little longer........

Whos old school here? Most of these guys don't know what the pains of film were!

Do you remember when we actually had to "Think" to take a picture....

Christ, I can put my Mark IIN on auto bracket and pop off 8FPS on a 8 Gig card and one of them will look good!

Capeche?

Diz

2. sculpin67

sculpin67 Senior Refuge Member

I'll do some more research, but don't think the 300mm is in my budget. I'll play with this one, and try to pick up the 200mm. It should be better than my little point and shoot digital. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've seen pitboss' camera, and think that may be a little too big to carry to the zoo - haha. He does take great pictures.

"The 300 is just barely enuf. I also would not get a prime right away; the utility of the 70mm range will help you. And it should be in the price range of the 55-200 you were looking at.

After you know what you want, THEN get primes. The zooms will help you learn what you want/need."

OK- what's a prime? Remember I'm a newbie. Got this out of the blue for an anniversary gift from the wife.

3. Susquehanna Gauge

Susquehanna Gauge Elite Refuge Member

It doesn't matter if you spend 50,000 on your gear.. you still need to put in the time and learn how to use it... I've seen plenty of people pick up a high dollar right and expect excellent results and get a big suprise...

Dizzy... I dont play catch up with anybody... :fp

4. mikei

mikei Elite Refuge Member

You won't be happy w/ 200....

If your on a budget, there is a Sigma lens that will give you decent results for about 200 bucks. It is called a Sigma 70-300 APO Macro. That was my first lens purchase and I was very pleased with it til I learned what an 'L' lens is!!

5. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

:tu:tu

Very very affordable lens, and you have a nice little macro out to 200-300mm. Start cheap and then see what you like and don't like with the lens, and upgrade. Take a bunch of pictures, there is no film to develop!

6. DropEmInDE

DropEmInDE Senior Refuge Member

I too started with that lens, and my little Rebel Xt....Seems like only yesterday...lol... Great lens, not the Fastest focus in the world. But on HELL of a Macro lens. That lens is still in my camera bag next to the L glass and other various USM EF lenses...And will stay there untill my 100f2.8 Macro takes its place..

Here is a couple examples of what that 70-300 DG macro can do, with a little 3fps camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

You know I was pulling your chain on that one!

Your right on the money versus the gear!

I have run into many out there with a ton of pricey equipment at the various refuges that don't know a thing about the basics or the other half of this craft.

8. sculpin67

sculpin67 Senior Refuge Member

DropEm - great pics. If I could get pictures with half the zoom, I'd be happy. I'm going to save and watch ebay, and see if I can pick up a 70-300mm. For those bird pics, how far away were you, and did you crop and zoom the images?

I stopped at the local camera shop today, and they have classes on my nikon. I can attend a class for $25, and try to get some clue as to the meaning of some of the words use guys are using. Some of them are greek to me. I'm also ordering a book. They even have a Nikon D40 for Dummies.

Thanks again for the help.

9. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

Also, look over the two threads at the top on Camera Basics and Post Production Basics. They are BOTH excellent. Then go practice at the $25 workshop and you'll know 4x as much as the rest of the class!!

10. Diver-Down

Diver-Down Elite Refuge Member

Reminds me of a guy I was shooting with for 2 days down by Gay street. Real nice guy, was shooting the 600 f4 and 30D:scratch. I e-mailed him some of my better pictures from the shoot, when he sent me some of his I felt bad for him, my dust pumper shots blew his away. When I asked why he was on f8 for flight shots he said he always uses f8 :confused: