Zucchini?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Peregrine, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

I'm facing the age-old dilemma of people with a zucchini plant in the garden. What do I do with all of them?

I don't particularly care for it in salad and we can only eat so much zucchini bread.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
    Paul

2. 733SubDucker

733SubDucker Elite Refuge Member

Pick while they're young, only 8" at most. Try to cook those of the same size together. Split once lenthwise. Brush with your favorite marinade or Italian salad dressing and season wth salt and pepper. Over med. high heat, grill flat side in two directions to get fancy grill marks.;) Flip and grill other side once. Don't overcook or they will be mushy and, in my opinion, nasty. The "meat" of it should still be fairly firm. Pair it with enough red meat and beer, and you're all set.:tu

3. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

#1 pick them small. Stir fry, grill or deep fry.
    If you have a bunch of big ones ...good luck.

4. Blastaduck

Blastaduck Elite Refuge Member

I give a ton of mine away at the office. :dv

Other than that, yeah in bread, or grilled, or fry it up with onions.

5. tshuntin

tshuntin Elite Refuge Member

I cook my about the most unhealthy way. I just slice them and fry them in a skillet with butter, season salt, or salt and pepper. Travis

6. Frog

Frog Senior Refuge Member

rub with olive oil and some seasoning & Grill em with peppers, onion, etc. Awesome!

7. mwimmer

mwimmer Senior Refuge Member

all Good Stuff.. For those big boats that u find hidden under the leaves.

I split those big 'uns down the middle, scoop out the guts, add cooked ground beef and some other goodies and bake 'em like a HUGE stuffed pepper.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Use them anywhere you use onions (with some restraint)

Spagetti Sauce, Stews, Pot Roast, Chili, soups. It does not add or subtract much from the flavor, just makes the meal stretch farther.

9. BuckeyeDuck

BuckeyeDuck Elite Refuge Member

Even if you let them grow to monsters, no worries...just split lengthwise and scrape out all of the seeds with a spoon, then peel and cube...

Heat up a bunch of olive oil and/or butter in a deep skillet on Med-High...throw in some garlic and onions for a very short amount of time...maybe 30 sec so the garlic doesn't burn...toss in the cubed zuc meat, season with whatever else sounds good to you, crushed red pepper, bacon bits, sage, any other dried spices (Zuchini and summer squash meat is like a blank pallet that lends itself to whatever seasoning combination you might fancy) ... and saute briskly until tender...add a bunch of seasoned salt at the end to taste.

[​IMG]

10. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

years ago when my wife and i had a garden we would raise zukes to make us feel usefull if everything else died. then once a year my wife would have some neighborladies over and i would be thrown out of the house. eight hours later i would return to my kitchen covered with flour and empty wine cooler bottles everywhere. the counter would be covered with zuke bread, zuke cupcakes and my favorite chocolate zuke cake. now 20 years later i do not miss those days at all. i can buy a dang cake!!!!!!!!!!!!