“That was the most Army chit I ever saw”

hobbydog

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am willing to bet that all of us who have worked for any government agency could tell some horror stories, especially sitting around a fire, after a few non-hydrating adult beverages.
Hell, come to think of it, I've got a few stories from my days of working in the private sector, too.
Yeah, the private sector has its own stories. Basically, the larger the organization, the more waste and stupid stuff that happens. One incompetent person in the wrong position can have cascading effects.

salthunter

Reaction score
Yeah, the private sector has its own stories. Basically, the larger the organization, the more waste and stupid stuff that happens. One incompetent person in the wrong position can have cascading effects.
My wife worked in Indian Health for her last 5 years of her working career.
The Feds spent huge amounts of money keeping track of spending. Like many things to many people involved in decisions.
The feds had a buffer on expiration times. Budget Items had to be approved: for daily use were often over ordered not knowing when the items would be approved.
When corvid hit my wife called up a maintenance guy. Told him of the huge stash of PPE. 100's of thousands of N 95 masks. Of course they were not suppose to be distributed because thy were outdated.
Anyway it was announced on facebook there were truckloads of PPE ready to go to the dump sitting in a truck in the parking lot of the clinic.

Totally separate Department of AG waste program.,, school lunch program is a hugely wasteful

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was trying to get ladders when my friend said "well you shoulda been at the nuclear power plant that one day".
Two semi-loads of 40 foot extension ladders.
If you had cash they'd take it and turn and look away as you took them.
Finally they ran over it all with a dozer then buried them. That's government work.
They pay well don't they?
Keep your mouth shut.
:l

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The old ten twenty standard.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am willing to bet that all of us who have worked for any government agency could tell some horror stories, especially sitting around a fire, after a few non-hydrating adult beverages.
Hell, come to think of it, I've got a few stories from my days of working in the private sector, too.
I know of a fire, come drink in September and tell some.

Idahotim

Refuge Member
Reaction score
In my days of fighting fire for the government, I was cutting in a landing safety zone, all the crews were coming off the line I was asked to dig a hole 50'wx25'D all the tools handles were cut off and all thrown in hole. They took apart the chain saws separate bar from saw,and threm them all in hole, lots of 1" mop up hose 1000's of feet of hose covered it all . I buried it all. I have seen it all lots of government waste. He'll look at the waste we have running the country now!!!

1SGDuckHUnter

Reaction score
My reserve unit spent 6 months and thousands of tax dollars to fix up a Battalions worth of HUMVEEs. The trucks have now been traded in for a fleet of JLTVs all of which are deadlined and need tons of work. This is the same unit that forgot to put in contracts to feed soldiers for 4 days of training. The decision was made to use our supply of MREs. Unfortunately, our supply had not ordered more MREs from the previous time this happened and we had only had enough MREs for 1 day. My MAJ and I purchased a grill and lots of meat and feed our company. I could keep going but will stop.
1SG B

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 80s.
We had to install roll bars on our jeeps to be safe.
Mind you these were MP “gun trucks” that were supposed to have an M60 mounted in them.
Guess what couldn’t spin, because of the roll bar?

Then we got the order, to turn them in To get the HMMWV.
But…… before they could be turned in, all deficiencies had to be fixed ( like mentioned above), AND had to be freshly painted.:doh
I get fixing them before they are sent to DRMO. Those end up being the ones you find on the Govdeals site. May not make sense, but someone (likely a country municipality) will be getting a decent tool. The fraud waste and abuse I have seen through 20 years of supporting the military is astounding.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My reserve unit spent 6 months and thousands of tax dollars to fix up a Battalions worth of HUMVEEs. The trucks have now been traded in for a fleet of JLTVs all of which are deadlined and need tons of work. This is the same unit that forgot to put in contracts to feed soldiers for 4 days of training. The decision was made to use our supply of MREs. Unfortunately, our supply had not ordered more MREs from the previous time this happened and we had only had enough MREs for 1 day. My MAJ and I purchased a grill and lots of meat and feed our company. I could keep going but will stop.
1SG B
How much do JLTVs suck? We still have HMMWVs. Do JLTV beds have the ability to mount the same equipment and shelters on the back that the HMMWV did?