10 gauge 'em?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Packrattusnongratus, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Packrattusnongratus

Packrattusnongratus New Member

I was wondering if with the 10 ga it would be a good compromise to load #5 shot and a medium velocity? Seems as though the faster you run the projectiles the more resistance they get. Then perhaps a middle speed on the loading table would get the fastest kill. An awful lot of Buffalo once died from a 500 gr bullet out of a 45/70 at maybe 1200 FPS. I just had the thought that 2.5 ounces of shot from a 10 might just be quite efficient. Won't really need the 10 as a 12 has done it for me but I now own the 10 BPS and want to try it. Be Well, Packrat

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like a can't miss decoy range load.

3. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

Sorry, miss the part about turkeys. I was hoping it was #5 steel for ducks. Carry on.

4. Packrattusnongratus

Sorry man, #5 lead for turkeys is my question? I should just read all of 10ganut's book before I ask a question. His are tested loads. I'm a believer but probably won't have the tools for it until after the first of the year. Kind of like one quality piece at a time. Then there are powder and primers, wads, etc. Calling all 10 ga turkey hunting experts. Be Well, Packrat

5. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

All I uses to use were factory #5's in my SP10 and still have a bunch, but retired the 10 to geese only:tu

6. Packrattusnongratus

Just got back from church and didn't see this. How many do you have left? Be Well, Packrat.

7. LANN WILF

LANN WILF New Member

A 10 gauge was made for killing turkeys. All I can say. Been shooting Nitro Company Hevi Shot 4x5x7 triplex. Think it's 2.5 oz.
    Trying to build a HW 13 2 oz load of 4x6. No luck yet with a good pattern.

Lead 5s and 6s do well too.

The Nitro Hevi Shot load wilts em at 60. Killed one with authority last yr at 43 yds. with Fed. Prem. #6s.

A 20 with TSS is great, but my BPS 10 is hard to walk away from.

My 2 cents.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

For the OP, you don't need a great amount of shot to kill turkeys, most of the very heavy slower, 1200 fps, 10 gauge loads even if the do throw 250 plus pellets in a load are not IMO and my observations as effective as faster lighter loads.
    My opinion nothing more. When I first got my Mag 10 in the late 1970's I was using 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 oz lead loads, not that they were ineffective they did kill at normal ranges. What bothered me is even with a clean kill at 37 -40 yards I would recover a dead bird and there were pellets falling from the breast feathers sometimes quite a few of them, which meant they weren't penetrating and IMO were totally ineffective for a given load, basically wasted shot.
    So after seeing the pellet drop out of dead birds for about the third or fourth time, which might have been as high as 20 % of the shot in the load was totally wasted and unnecessary, again my opinion.
    Making an experiment out of it I made up some 1525 fps 1 5/8 oz lead loads. First time out with them a decent medium sized bird, a bit over 20 lbs, gives me a shot at around the 50 yard mark I guessed, never would come in any closer.
    So I shot at the closest point he would come to, the bird rolled 5 times after being hit and died a few yards from where I first hit it. Recovered the bird had five #4 lead pellet holes straight through it's skull and seven clean through the neck from top to bottom. Measured distance to where I hit the bird was 47 yards and I did not notice any pellet drop out.
    So I got 12 lethal pellet strikes from that light a load at that distance, why would I need 2 1/2 ounces of shot to get the job done then???
    Sorry for being long winded, never intended to open a story book here.
    FWIW for years before I got my Mag 10 I shot what was called Baby Magnum lead loads for turkeys, 2 3/4" 12 gauge loads with 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 ounce of shot in them, They worked and killed birds just fine on most days.

9. LANN WILF

LANN WILF New Member

Not long winded. Good info. Based on my limited experience, a good lead load in a 10 will do all a turkey hunter needs. Tungsten alloys are nice, especially when out of State and on a timeline, but lead will do for all ethical shots.
    And, like 10gaugenut said, "1 3/4 oz. to 2 oz. payload will do a great job with nice velocity."
    Plenty of energy at 50-55. Looking for 2 ft. lbs. or more to kill him. #6s get dicey at that range. #5s are good to go. #4s are evil, if pattern holds up.
    I'll shut up now.

10. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

I shot a 10 NEF single shot for years and killed 100 + birds with it. Used an aftermarket tube in it. It is a load to carry but l enjoyed seeing the results in dead birds on the other end. I have many boxes and parts of boxes of factory lead loads. Most were 5s and 6s. I never attempted reload or use new metal pellets loads other than lead as I felt it was killing what l Was shooting at with the loads I had. Back in the day there were some really cheap post season prices in stores on lead 10 guage shells at season end. . I loaded up.

SB2MAG likes this.