Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

10 miles a day too much?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by num70, Jun 9, 2020.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Check out Adequan, it's the real deal X10.:yes
    If you can get your Vet to prescribe the equine Adequan it's the exact same drug as the K9 Adequan at half the price. I will never have a dog that isn't given a course of Adequan at 6 to 7 months old.
    There are studies that show that it helps with future joint injuries..they give it to most race horses at a young age for the same reason.......it works.:yes
    But it's also a great med to give to older dogs when they start to slow down or come up lame.:yes:yes:tu

cacklercrazy likes this.
  2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Read this link.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-latest-on-glucosaminechondroitin-supplements-2016101710391

Think about the biology and chemistry. A large molecule goes into the stomach. The digestive system
    breaks it down into smaller molecules. Then if by magic all the small segments of the giant molecule end
    up meeting in your knee after passing through various membranes and tissues and magically rearrange
    themselves back into the giant glucosaminechondrointin molecule. Can you spell the word gullible? :doh

Adequan is injected into muscles (blood stream) not digested. :reader

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    WoodieSC likes this.
  3. murdock84

murdock84 Elite Refuge Member

I know when out field hunting we walked 4 miles and the GPS on the one dog showed it ran 17 miles. Now that particular dog is a big running GSP so that may be a little more than a closer hunting dog.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

You won't believe how gullible my knees have been. Having been a life-long distance runner's knees, they were shot by their early 50s: woke me up with their bellyaching at night and squawked something fierce when I pulled on socks or boots. Walking real distances, much less running was over.

Having long hosted a prosthetic company's annual "continuing education" group of orthopedic surgeons at our camp and sat in on some of their sessions, knee replacement was an absolutely last resort.for me. (They've come a very long way since.) And taking the advice of a friend who'd had good luck with it, I gave cheap Wally World glucosamine chondroitin a shot with the understanding that it wasn't going to work overnight.

Not too long after, I was working the pen, pissed off a Dr. Seuss-looking Brahma to get her off another fellow and ended up with a cracked shin for it. Couldn't say how long it took for that to quit hurting more than my knees, other than "long," but when it did let off, my knee pain was gone, as well. And I went back to running four miles most off-season mornings and seven once a week and on holidays until my knees started warning me to back off during the holiday run for my 65th birthday. Still walking most of those miles at 70, taking my GC pill daily and sharing them with my dogs from puppyhood on into their advanced age.

All despite knowledge that "study" says it ain't so and even one smart-***** orthopod's crack like yours that the cartilage in my knees must be several inches thick by now. Been a long time since I've smirked when the old folks credit gelatin or gnawing the cartilage off chicken bones to the same effect, too.

5. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

At least, I might be right. About twelve years ago my orthopedic doctor told me that
    both knees should be replaced. I am still wearing the original equipment. Recently, I
    was informed that the right shoulder needs replacement and a nerve in my left elbow
    needs to be moved. I will be 80 years old in August.......didn't do any of that. :h

I bought another pup that is now training well. Some of the training involves more
    distance than my hunt test setups, so I bought a UTV. It is much better at getting
    things out there .....than my legs. It seemed amusing when the loan officer asked me
    if I wanted a six year loan. I went with five. :dv

WoodieSC likes this.
  6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator

I've never heard about using Adequan for young dogs, but we've definitely had great luck with it with a couple of older Goldens who had either mild dysplasia or just 'creaky hips'. It made all the difference in the world for three of them, and only a mild improvement for the fourth (who wasn't in as bad a shape to start with).

It doesn't sound like your dog needs it right now, but talk to your Vet. It might be a good time to start. I used to give the shots every 2-3 years per dog, depending on how well they were doing.

I used to buy it mail order at a much reduced price vs the Vet's $45/shot pricing, which he supported for us. Get the Equine variety for shots, not the tablets for dogs.

7. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Some how a Lab running with a human and playing with the kids would not equate to a 10 mile worth of retrieves. Although I would keep an eye on her, its probably not much more wear & tear as having a Lab make 10 to 15 200 yd retrieves where they are going all out.

8. Frenchy in AK

Frenchy in AK Senior Refuge Member

Let her run. 10 miles is nothing.

9. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

It does work on horses and cattle. Never thought about it on dogs.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I know that, I never said it was an oral. My wife has been an RVT for 30+ years she injects it straight into the problem area. You don't just administer it subcutaneously it is best to administer it intramuscularly in target the area because the muscle tissue has a greater blood supply than the tissues under the skin.:yes:yes:yes:reader:l:tu