10 Month YLF - Gun Introduction

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by gock5, Aug 25, 2019.

1. gock5

gock5 Senior Refuge Member

Back story - I started introducing gun fire to Sookie back in March, daughter would have a 22, be about 100 yds away, while Sookie and I played, moving in when she showed no reaction. After 2 to 3 sessions, Sookie had no issues. Then brought out the shotgun, again started about 100 yds out, moving in while I played with her, until she was comfortable shooting right beside her. In June, started shooting clays with our family. I took her about 50 yds out, played and continued to move in closer until she would sit or down right beside us as we were shooting clays. Did this 3 times from June thru early August.

Yesterday - family out shooting clays, I again took her about 50 yds away, had her retrieving after a shot, while continuously moving in until I had her sitting at heel right next to me on a chair while I shot. Tail wagging. Did great, retrieved some bumpers towards the end after a shot.

My brother-in-law and nephew then brought out there 22's to target shoot. The first shots sent Sookie under the truck. After i got her out, had my daughter shoot off a couple of shotguns, no issues. Then had my BIL shoot another 22, she tried to get away from me.

Is it the "high pitched" sound that's coming from the 22 that's causing this? Or did I not do enough with the 22 back in March-April? Kind of at a loss, she does great with the guns that she'll be "hunting" with (duck and pheasant).

Your input is greatly appreciated.

2. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Associate the gunshot with expecting a retrieve. Otherwise its just a loud noise.

Doc E and Don Smith like this.
  3. Trout Bum

Trout Bum Senior Refuge Member

Agreed and or a bird encounter followed by a chase. You pop off a cap when the dog is in chase. When first starting a helper that can stand back at a distance and pop a cap. You build from there. Soon the dog associates the shot with good things. A fail safe method if you don’t push it and rush to shoot a 12 gauge right over their head or at a distance.

4. gock5

To clarify, I started with a 22 back in March while playing and retrieving. Moved on to the shotgun when she was ready, no flinching, etc. Did the same routine with the shotgun, playing and retrieving. She hasn't been exposed to a 22 since April-May, only shotguns (May, June July and Aug). No issues thru yesterday. Brought the 22's out yesterday and she had issues.

I'll start over again with the 22. She's doing just fine with the shotguns.

Thanks!

5. Trout Bum

Trout Bum Senior Refuge Member

You need to associate the shot with the retrieve or bird flush and with a single shot. Not boom, boom, boom....from a distance while moving closer.

Better start over, one retrieve with one shot at a distance. Next day have the shooter move a little closer. In a month she might be ready to shoot a shotgun over. Better take it real slow given how you describe how she acted. She also should be put up and away when there is target shooting going on.

Best of luck take it slow

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Check the ears, sometimes sensitivity can mean ear infections. Personally I don't like introduction to gunfire in dogs with 22 or blanks. I prefer a 410 at distance as choice to start with.

7. gock5

Trout Bum, guess I'm not making this very clear. Back in March, I did exactly what you are telling me to do, associating the 22 shooting with play and retrieve. Once we were able to shoot directly over her in April with the 22, moved to the shotgun. Did the exact same thing, associating the shotgun shots with play/retrieve as my daughter moved closer until such time that I was able to shoot with her in heel on my left side while I was shooting. Always associated with play/retrieve. April/Now.

Yesterday, she had no problems retrieving with the shotguns, heel by my side while sitting on a bucket getting ready for dove season (using clays). She only had a problem when the 22's came out at the very end. Even brought the shotgun out after seeing her reaction to the 22's, she had no issues with it. No problem with the shotguns but issues with the 22's. That's why I asked if anyone else had the same experience.

CA Birdman, very good suggestion. my daughter was a vet assistant, no issue with the ears. I still think it has to do with the high pitch. Hopefully someone else out in the forum world has had the same issue and let's me know what they did. until that time, I'll keep her away from the 22's.

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

Not sure at this point why you want or need to keep shooting 22's over her. Even in trials and hunt tests, it's shotgun blanks.
    If you won't be doing any kind of hunting with her that you would use 22's for, just quite shoothing them. As she is still pretty young and she has no problem with the shotgun, why take a chance that she might not tolerate the shotgun in the near future. Young dogs have and always will continue to change personality as they mature.......no need to take the chance of her( maybe ) becoming gun shy. I know ,as you have said many times she is good with the shotgun, but that might change if you keep pushing the 22 that she hates...:tu

9. gock5

True, just got done messaging with a dog trainer friend and he said the same thing. Move on, no more having her near where we are shooting 22's. She's doing great at 10 mos with the shotguns. Got dove and early teal seasons coming up in the next couple of weeks. :)

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Take your 10 month old hunting and leave your gun home or take a kennel with you. Your attention needs to be on the pup and not you shooting the first few hunting trips.

FieldLabLover likes this.