Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

10 year old duck

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Guzman, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Guzman

Guzman Elite Refuge Member

Am I supposed to be worried about that? Lol

2. mrbill

mrbill Elite Refuge Member

Only if they (BBL) get the notion someone has illegally submitted false information. I don’t have the chapter and verse on this but it is considered a crime. One that could have an unpleasant effect on an offenders hunting privileges.

3. full choke

full choke Elite Refuge Member

What exactly are you referring too? The whole point of a neck band is to be able to read the numbers from a distance and supply them to the banding laboratory without the bird being dead. Leg bands can work the exact same way- if you can read the numbers by enlarging a photograph- Why would they NOT want that information? The bird not being dead and allowing someone else to see that bird and report it at another date would only strengthen the information they collect.

The point of banding birds is not to retrieve info off of dead birds. They want to retrieve information on the travel of the bird.

Curt Gibson likes this.
  4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Full Choke is right. I used to report neck bands during the off season all the time. I got a couple thank you for helping them track bird they banding. Banding isn’t for only dead birds.

5. mrbill

You’re absolutely right. The problem comes when the culprit reports the bird as dead but then they get a live sighting dated after the dead report. As in pic is posted on line, a viewer then sees and reports the number as harvested. Subsequently the picture taker submits a live sighting with the date of live sighting. The live report date was correct but happened to be a date after the report claiming harvested.

6. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I don’t work with the data but I still don’t see a problem. My assumption is that if it happens and the people working with the data would either contact the person who reported it dead or just throw out that account.

I still don’t get why anyone would report a live bird as harvested. They don’t get anything for it. It’s not like they mail you a replica band. I would think this happens like 1% of the time and would believe they want you to report live bands. It’s the literal reason they use neck collars.

7. mrbill

The only reason I can think of for not using live reporting is they may not have known or noticed that as an option and just wanted to see the info on the bird in question. The person who submitted the live report was contacted by BBL regarding this issue and after several exchanges they supposedly contacted the other party. Unknown what happened after that.