11-87 choke recommendation

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by musher, Aug 19, 2019.

1. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

picked up a used 20 gauge 11-87 for the wife. It came with only a turkey tube. Any recommendations on an choke tube to start out with? Hunt decoying Canada geese and mallards mainly.

Thanks

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I like Carlson Chokes. Not that expensive, and they work. LT Mod would be a good place to start.

JFG, musher, Sunklands and 1 other person like this.
  3. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

It depends on how close your decoying duck and goose shots are, but as NV said, LM or maybe Mod should take care of you.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with some steel loads. If I was limited to one load for those, I would be using the #2 steel load.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
    1 oz #4 steel (191 pellets) @ 1330 fps
    30 YARDS -- IC / pattern 164 (86%)
    30 YARDS -- M / pattern 179 (94%)
    40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 147 (77%)

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK SUPER-X STEEL LOAD
    1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1330 fps
    30 YARDS -- IC / pattern 123 (85%)
    30 YARDS -- M / pattern 133 (92%)
    40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 106 (73%)

1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1330 fps
    30 YARDS -- IC / pattern 105 (89%)
    30 YARDS -- M / pattern 114 (97%)
    40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 99 (84%)

Good luck!

musher likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Joe,

I notice that while the yardage was 10 yards different, the I/C patterns were significantly better than the I/M, except for the 2's.

You have already done a TON of work, but what is your 'opinion' of those I/C patterns holding up at 40 yards? Or, for that matter, the Mod patterns holding up.

I typically go I/C-Mod in my O/U. Using mostly 4's and some 3's, I was wondering if maybe I should be going I/C-LtMod instead.

Just a casual question, nothing serious.

5. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

NV -- I only shot the two Remington loads through the Mod. at 40 yards. As you can see, the Mod. lost about 20% in that 10 yards; but still plenty of pattern density with the 4s. I just guessed that the IC would be even more open than the Mod. at 40 yards. An IC/Mod combo would probably do for most of my decoy shooting, too!

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

1 oz #4 steel (191 pellets) @ 1330 fps
    30 YARDS -- IC / pattern 164 (86%)
    30 YARDS -- M / pattern 179 (94%)
    40 YARDS -- M / pattern 139 (73%)
    40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 147 (77%)

1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1330 fps
    30 YARDS -- IC / pattern 105 (89%)
    30 YARDS -- M / pattern 114 (97%)
    40 YARDS -- M / pattern 88 (75%)
    40 YARDS -- IM / pattern 99 (84%)

Good luck!

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

As Native suggested Carlson's make some good and affordable tubes, think the waterfowl three pack set would be a good option.
    I like Joes pattern figures and the amount of work he's put into them, one thing to consider Browning and Remington from the factory tubes I have measured use very different constriction diameters on their tubes. What Remington may call a modified tube Browning may call an I/C tube, Remington seems to like to make their factory tubes more open than Browning does, why I really don't know.

musher likes this.
  7. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guy. Much appreciated info.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a Browning Citori 28" White Lightning with IC /Mod and load 7/8 oz of 3's in steel shot . This has been a good combo of constriction and pellet
    size for me , where I hunt . The river where I hunt (most) is 47 yds across and as most shots are back peddling into the decoys , there 're times when
    a bird is heading out the back door . A going away shot at 40 plus is still within this MODS capabilities as some birds die on the far bank . I have found
    by patterning my load of 3's , 7/8 oz is what my 20 ga really likes and even with birds are 25 to 30 yds out , it doesn't put somany holes in them that
    they look bad in the BBQ barrel .
    Thanks again Joe , your testing shows a lot of what a 20 can do !

9. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I put a Trulock in my daughter's 20ga model 1100, bought from MPC Sports, and have been happy with it shooting #4's.

It's the black, extended "lite modified" aka "skeet 2". Free shipping and only cost $41

10. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Factory mod has worked just fine for the ones I bought for kids. One is a crack shot and the other not so and complains it us the gun or shot. When this happens we trade guns and prove it is not the gun, choke or shot.

Fowler267 likes this.