14 ft Gamefisher Info

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by BigSkyDuk, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM.

1. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

I have an opportunity to buy a 14ft Gamefisher aluminum boat from my brother in law’s dad. This is the size class and profile I’ve been looking for, and I know the guy takes good care of his stuff so my usual worries about buying used boats are put to rest. I’ve done some research here and on the Google machine and other than learning these were sold by Sears (wasn’t that a great store...) there’s nothing out there. Threads on here are pretty old and thin on info too. So, anyone know anything about these? He doesn’t have a motor on it, so I’ll be picking my own power. It’s plate rated for 15hp, but given the age of the boat they would have been thinking two strokes, and these days a 15hp motor is nothing but a de-rated 20 horse so there no weight difference. He hasn’t come up with a price yet.

Thanks guys!

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I had a 14' V Gamefisher back in the 70s powered by a Wizard Powermatic 12 (1957 model made by Mercury). As I recall, it was a fairly light boat (think thin material) and would dent easily especially breaking ice. It was, to my mind, fairly tippy as well. The drain hole was in the bottom of the boat toward the transom and was a metal screw in affair. I used that boat for about 5 years 'til I could afford something better and more sturdy. That's all I got.

3. BigSkyDuk

Hmm... light is OK as I don't really plan on breaking ice. Tippy is definitely a concern. Thanks for the insight!

4. Fogie

Fogie Senior Refuge Member

Is it a car-topper, vee, deeper vee?...

5. BigSkyDuk

Shallow/Semi-V from what I can tell. I have seen the 12 footers referred to as car-toppers. This one is on a trailer, and at 14' I think it would be a bit much for a car topper--in terms of manhandling it, even if not the weight.

I should say the mission here is small lake fishing and duck hunting. Probably me and one other person, or me and the dog for the most part. I'm under no impression this boat would be adequate for big or rough water.

Holesinthesky and Fogie like this.
  6. Fogie

Sound a lot like my boat and what I do, with the exception of when I fish Lake Mojave/Colorado River.
    I got along fine with just an electric for years, until I began trolling top water for giant stripers on lake above and found myself miles down river sometimes.
    Now have a 15hp Suzuki EFI/4 stroke, two six volts in series and a 55# (3hp) electric.

7. Fogie

Something like this one?...14ft... E4C2BF00-F17A-4DF5-BA2C-A4E8D8393481.jpeg

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. BigSkyDuk

Looks very similar! Same hull side profile. How do you like that 15 hp Suzi on it?

9. Fogie

Is very sweet, quiet and one pull start even after sitting a while..was the only EFI 15hp when I bought it a few ago, now there are others. Would probably go with something else, now. Needed a fuel hose assembly a while ago and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, crazy. Ended up clamping new hose to the old fittings. Japanese quality is awesome, but something to be said for part commonality.

10. BigSkyDuk

Update: The price, including trailer and a bunch of other goodies (fish finder, bimini top, trolling motor, new deep cycle, etc) was just too good to pass up so I'm getting her! I'll need to paint it and figure out a power plant, but I'll wait until I get it home to start figuring that out. From my preliminary research, it appears you can throw outboard motors in with ammo and toilette paper for COVID shortages.

drahthaarducker and Fogie like this.