15’ Havoc Jet Boat with a Yamaha 40 4s And Some General Jet Boat Thoughts

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by TinAndRivers, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Conewago duck'n

Conewago duck'n Senior Refuge Member

I have a Lowe 1655 roughneck with a Yamaha 40/30 jet that I use on the susquehanna. Two guys with gear and it will plane out, upper teens speed. Put three guys in with decoys and it's not going to plane, no way, no how.
    Sounds like you are stuck on the 15' boat, but I'd go 60/40 jet if you plan on running more than 2 of you around at a time.

2. Don white

Don white Senior Refuge Member

fishing 2 people in a 15' boat was a drag, at least for me.

3. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Jet boats are awesome and terrible.

A hull not set up for a tunnel/ jet combo will be a dog. People usually want a shallow running, tough hull that jumps on plane quickly and turns well enough to not blow out/ cavitate.

I had a 17' Rhino with a 90/65 2 stroke merc that would jump on plane in two boat lengths facing upriver. Ran very, very shallow. I had UHMW sheet and runners on the bottom of the hull. Boat was very tough.

Top speed in that rig was 30. There are so many compromises. A tiller will be stern heavy and hit more stuff. A stick steer is great but takes up floor space and with a 15' hull you don't have much. Limits your deck size etc.

4. Redthies

Redthies Senior Refuge Member

Pair that with your statement in the first post about really wanting to be able to fish with your buddies, and I think you have your answer. That said, is the place you’re living now your “forever home”? Or is there a chance you might move to a different place in a year or two? It might make sense to do the storage thing if there is a chance you may free up later. My salmon fishing bud just built a custom Hewes center console for his “forever” boat, and went 16’ so it would fit in his garage. It is really tight for two to fish. Guess what he did next? Sold that house and bought a way bigger place. Life happens, and I find it best to future-proof. If you want to fish 2 people on rivers, I’d go 17’ at least. And absolute minimum a 40/60 jet and better yet a 60/90.

As far as Havoc goes, I’ve never seen one in person, but they sure are ugly in photos. That said, their videos of “durability testing” (destruction?), are impressive.

Will this be mostly a fishing boat for the river, or do you plan to use it for other things? Getting up a bit earlier and going to get the boat won’t seem too bad if it makes your day on the water that much better.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Had a buddy once who punched out the back of his garage wall and built a little shed roof alcove / outcropping just big enough to get the back of his boat into. I would do this to my garage and move up from my 18' hull to a 20 footer except that the foundation wall there is 5' high (garage is tucked into a hill). Any chance you can extend out the back of your storage area (I am assuming garage)?

Tuleman and TinAndRivers like this.
  6. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

You note getting this thing off rocks, that to me says, go .125, or better .190 thousandths aluminum.

Here's a youtube video of an Xtreme boats rig that is interesting, 1545 with a recessed transom, this particular one is a tunnel with a prop but you could get a jet tunnel and jet. This is also a stick steer, other options are available. I was looking into these but was told no to getting a quote because I just wanted the hull, seems dealers are so swamped they only want to sell complete packages.

I believe these things are/can be had in .125 thick material, I know they also do .190, maybe not with this specific model but they may be able to be convinced to do as such... I don't know. Anyways, .125 is nothing at which to scoff, should be good, .190 better, but life is life.

I would get the highest hp for the weight, so if the 40hp is the same block and essentially the same weight as the 60hp, I'm getting the 60hp. I love how this thing in the video is decked, would be nice for fishing

7. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Oh, and one could look at the possibility of wider, see if a maker will build you a 1560 or even 1570 type hull, that would make a big difference in stability, though a 1570 is likely to drift far more than steer, so just be aware that you'll want to be paying attention while driving.

Xtreme boats has their "river skiff" model, which is flat bottom, which is better for shallow, in a 1554 that is .125" thick.

That may be a win, again, I'd call and ask about 60" or 70" wide too, anyways, I'll stop now, good luck to ya.

8. TinAndRivers

TinAndRivers Refuge Member

Really great comments. Appreciate all of them. I think you guys are absolutely right and that I should go 16’ to 18’ minimum and figure out a way to make it work for the time being, whether that comes from finding some extra room in the shed by extending the wall or storing the boat off site for a while.

9. DonP

DonP Refuge Member

I don't think you'll regret having more room. Good luck with your new purchase and keep us posted.

BTW- Is the horse powered restricted lake you refer to just outside Hanover?

Andrew Ritter and TinAndRivers like this.
  10. Redthies

Redthies Senior Refuge Member

I think you’ll be happier going bigger. Do let us know what you end up with, and post some photos. Everyone loves photos!