15 YO Drinking

Montauker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My input is that when I was 15 I had the same experience with rum (couldn't drink it for a long time thereafter).

Num I don't know you but know enough based on where you worked in your early 20s to know that you've seen worse outta guys at that age and then some.

Have a real conversation with him. Not the last time he's gonna touch the stuff, but there are consequences, in your house and beyond, that he needs to understand.

brentbullets

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A discussion and manual labor.

I was 16 and drank and drove, big mistake on my part and got caught. I was wasted and not my first time drinking. No wrecks or anything. Anyway dad got me up at 5 am for breakfast, no choice. Mom had the greasiest plate of fried eggs, hash browns and bacon already for me and a small juice glass of milk. Usually had 10 oz glasses with no limit on milk. I quickly drank the milk and went for more, wasn’t going to happen. Forced to eat all my breakfast and then was handed a steak knife and was told there better not be one dandelion or weed left in the yard when he got home. Hot July day, 98 degrees and 98% humidity. I crawled around yard all day dragging a garden hose with the water running. This in 1977 when you could drink from a garden hose. Lost driving privileges for 6 months and didn’t drink and drive again until I was out of the house.

SB2MAG

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have friends that got an underage drinking ticket and thus have had their careers affected. Basically didn’t get the job they wanted because it was found on a background check. Some disclosed it, some didn’t. Either way it affected their career path.

Tell him next time he or his friends steal your expensive liquor, you will make his friends parents pay for it after his friends get tickets for underage drinking.

Personally, my parents, aunts, uncles, grand parents all let me drink since I was 12. Beer was always in the fridge and a keg of beer and liquor was always available at family functions. It was never a big deal to drink so I didn’t. The biggest thing that kept me from drinking was seeing the trouble my teenage cousins got into from the cops and their parents leaving them in jail. Which basically taught them and me a lesson.

Most of my friends parents in high school would let us drink anytime. We just needed to buy the beer. This kept us honest and made drinking not a big deal. I was more worried about money for gas and taking out my girl friends.

Now, I don’t drink much as I want to be a good example for my kids and I don’t want to ever have an idea of driving a junk car around so I will have money to spend on Hamms.

Fogie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
..that’s about the natural age to do something like that imo.
Assuming he is a good kid as mine was..inform him that alcohol is something that takes experience to moderate and use responsibly, that there will be a time that he will learn to do so but now is not it, that he can call you without fear for help if he does it again, that it can kill beginners and and in many ways thereafter…to beware. Then wait for the next time because there will be one, most likely.
The best that can be realistically hoped for is that with good advice he handles youthful experimentation as well as possible IME

SkolMNDuckHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A lot of good advice here. I was that kid not THAT long ago, so I don't have that experience as a parent yet, but can speak from his point of view.

Laying into won't mean much. He's already heard it, and already knows he screwed up and your mad. He also doesn't give a flying rip about alcoholism and alcohol a abuse. He's just experimenting.

I truly think the biggest thing you should tell him is that you are of course very disappointed, but that you love him and support him no matter what. If he ever does end up in a bad situation, he can call you and you will drop everything and come get him. Don't become someone he thinks he can't call because you're so livid. No matter what, he can call you.

George

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just tell him you’re really disappointed in him... that alone hurts more than a big speech.

DuckFan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I would just add this thought:

Might want to bring up his buddy that drank with him - and wants to go to the Naval academy. One slip, such as a DUI, and he may not make it. Life goals can be completely turned upside down due to alcohol, especially at a young age when decision making may not be the best.

Sounds like a good kid...he'll be fine with parents like you keeping on task

just my 2 cents.

Riverfisher

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ask him what he learned. Monitor his behavior to see if it is/or is becoming a habit. Alcoholic drinking starts at young age for some.

Latest posts