15 YO Drinking

gillbilly

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Plenty of good advice here. I always went with the disappointment/trust angle with my boys.
At 15 I was buying at the liquor store.

salthunter

Reaction score
Hopefully this was a learning experience. And a way to make better choices.
Often when going through such an "experience" really can open doors for the whole family .
Keep a continued discussion open, Just don't label it "the night you puked" " and we found out"

Montauker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'll add this, now that I've reflected a bit more. When I was 14/15 and got drunk- really first time drinking- it was at the house of a friend whose mother condoned, if not encouraged, teens to party. I think she felt it was better under her roof, or she was just an idiot. But she was not a mindful parent, she wanted to be liked more than watch out for her daughter's long-term well being.

Anyway, fast forward 20 years, that daughter after a 20 year run of booze and drugs ends up murdering her grandmother.

Point being, it does matter, raise your kids to make decisions and be respectful and respected.

JoJer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
When they dropped the drinking age to 18, a gal in my class (who actually wasn't 18) brought a jar of vodka to school. She may have been into it earlier: Dropped it in the hallway. Stank like booze for a while.

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have zero real advice... I raised two wild and crazy daughters( you have the idea!!!).. I remembered where I was at stage and adjusted my response due to that. Now I'm a proud grandad of some beautiful young sprouts. Hopefully we will get a jump on the next go-around.

Warren Wingshooter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ask him what he learned. Monitor his behavior to see if it is/or is becoming a habit. Alcoholic drinking starts at young age for some.
This. Could be warning signs of a problem or might just be kids being kids, need to figure out what you're dealing with. The right reaction to one is the wrong reaction to the other. He was home, which would have bought me some slack, for sure.

I got into the beer at 8 and the whiskey on my 15th. Folks didn't freak out about it, I got it out of my system. Never ended up being a heavy drinker as an adult.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was a bit wild at one time and raised 2 kids that went through a wild stage.
Both turned out to be awesome members of society.
Tough to be a parent, easy to be a friend.