15 YO Drinking

Click

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Boys will be boys. They were smart an stayed home at least. It a good teachable moment, I wouldn't let it go to waste. Down the road it's far better to have your kid call for a ride than end up dead or killing someone else..if that's the worst you have to deal your lucky.

ducknutz

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the post... My daughter goes to Jr. High this fall, and it is combined with a high school (i.e. school within a school). She is pretty, well-developed for her age, & smart but head-strong... She has a very good head on her shoulders, but she is also very susceptible to peer pressure.

I also know... When I was growing up, I got into a lot of trouble, without getting into trouble cause I was that "good kid." Good grades, sports, had a job... My (good) reputation in some ways always allowed me to talk my way out of situations and get away with things... I was a good kid, but my parents raised me to be independent and curious about life...

I look at my two girls, who are generally well-behaved and respectful, and responsible... And think to myself: "I don't have to worry about that with them." And I have to remind myself: "YES I DO!"

I sincerely appreciate the post... Kids are on a trip with my sister, but this post instigated a great conversation with my wife, and will instigate a talk with our oldest for sure! Sincerely, thank you for posting this!
Remember Marc, with boys you only worry about 1 penis. With girls, you have to worry about ALL of them!

Wareagle1011

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
A lot of good advice here. I was that kid not THAT long ago, so I don't have that experience as a parent yet, but can speak from his point of view.

Laying into won't mean much. He's already heard it, and already knows he screwed up and your mad. He also doesn't give a flying rip about alcoholism and alcohol a abuse. He's just experimenting.

I truly think the biggest thing you should tell him is that you are of course very disappointed, but that you love him and support him no matter what. If he ever does end up in a bad situation, he can call you and you will drop everything and come get him. Don't become someone he thinks he can't call because you're so livid. No matter what, he can call you.
Yea teens gonna teen. Just gonna make it worse by controlling him. Instead you gotta have his back. Dont enable him. But have his back.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm late to this....but a good rule of thumb for us was always to let him tell you how he feels about it. You'll likely find he feels like an idiot....then you just use his own words to form yours.

That being said....if you catch him in the act of doing something stupid, a boot in his arse is a better response. He can tell you how he feels about it later.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad would absokutely kick our arses when my brother and me forked up....and we forked up ALOT. We were only 11 months apart and a handful.....so we gpt our arses beat continuously.

But the best lesson I ever learned carried no whipping. We had gpt caught stealing cap guns from the local drug store after riding our bikes up there. My mom called my dad, who was on duty as a State Trooper and he showed up in uniform. He put us in his car and told the manager to throw our bikes in their dumpster. The only words he spoke were "get in your room" when we got home.

We were literally terrified of the beating that was coming. About two hours later, or maybe a lifetime, he came through the door.

He sat down on the floor in front of our dresser and bwgan to cry. Through his tears he told us that his sons would nor, and could not, be theives....because he never wantes to hate us like he hated a thief. It waa devastating.

To this day, I wouldn't steal a blade of grass from another man's yard.

CA Birdman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I drank a lot of beer in high school 40 years ago. Drove a few times I shouldn't. With my boys, they could drink at home but don't ever drink and drive, I'll come get you. Usually called their brother and not me. Responsibility is the talk to have.

Squaller

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My dad would absokutely kick our arses when my brother and me forked up....and we forked up ALOT. We were only 11 months apart and a handful.....so we gpt our arses beat continuously.

But the best lesson I ever learned carried no whipping. We had gpt caught stealing cap guns from the local drug store after riding our bikes up there. My mom called my dad, who was on duty as a State Trooper and he showed up in uniform. He put us in his car and told the manager to throw our bikes in their dumpster. The only words he spoke were "get in your room" when we got home.

We were literally terrified of the beating that was coming. About two hours later, or maybe a lifetime, he came through the door.

He sat down on the floor in front of our dresser and bwgan to cry. Through his tears he told us that his sons would nor, and could not, be theives....because he never wantes to hate us like he hated a thief. It waa devastating.

To this day, I wouldn't steal a blade of grass from another man's yard.
My buddy told this story in college... Grew up in a small town, got caught for shop-lifting. Store called dad, and dad called a police buddy. Had the police cuff him and put him in a cell with another officer (that the kid though was an inmate) who pretended to be a serious criminal/threat. Dad came in, kid begged him to get him out, and dad said: "Thieves go to jail."

Kid spent several hours in the cell with (an officer pretending to be an inmate) threatening the kid... Dad finally came and got him out... According to my buddy, he'd drive 2 hours to return 2 cents... NO thoughts of stealing after that!

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My buddy told this story in college... Grew up in a small town, got caught for shop-lifting. Store called dad, and dad called a police buddy. Had the police cuff him and put him in a cell with another officer (that the kid though was an inmate) who pretended to be a serious criminal/threat. Dad came in, kid begged him to get him out, and dad said: "Thieves go to jail."

Kid spent several hours in the cell with (an officer pretending to be an inmate) threatening the kid... Dad finally came and got him out... According to my buddy, he'd drive 2 hours to return 2 cents... NO thoughts of stealing after that!
Pretty much all through my formative years, my dad alway preached that if i was ever thrown in jail that we would let me rot there.................but when I was 19, I received a call early one morning from my Dad. He and my mom were both in jail, and needed me to bail them out ( Mom for DWI, Dad for D&D/ resisting arrest):flame:sp:l

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all through my formative years, my dad alway preached that if i was ever thrown in jail that we would let me rot there.................but when I was 19, I received a call early one morning from my Dad. He and my mom were both in jail, and needed me to bail them out ( Mom for DWI, Dad for D&D/ resisting arrest):flame:sp:l
Are they still there…….:eek:
turn about is fair…..

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Are they still there…….:eek:
turn about is fair…..
No, I bailed them out! ......................I figured I may need a get out of jail free card someday. My Dad puked in the cop shop when we were waiting for my mom to be released. :l