Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

$1500 Spread.

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

With how many people are chasing snow geese there is a never ending amount of people flipping spreads on Facebook these days and typically for pretty cheap pricing provided they weren't used for just one season. Skyflys are going to be your best overall decoy IMO whether buying new or used. You will absolutely want at least one caller. Whether you make one or buy one the more sound the better. I wouldn't want less than two even if you may only hunt 1 having a spare or a backup will save you some serious hair pulling.

Now here is what I wouldn't do if you are just starting out. Putting together a junk yard spread compiled of 5 or 6 different kinds of socks, building the cheapest possible ecallers, and only hunting fields you have current permission for. Taller stakes are going to save you a super sore back so take that into consideration as well. Maybe it is just me but setting out multiple different kinds of socks/full bodies that all set up slightly different is annoying and if you are just getting started you should do it right.

Take this how you want but we've probably tested more amps/speakers than any snow goose hunter in the country and while yes you can build some callers for super cheap I can assure you going super cheap will equal lack of sound quality and volume. While volume is highly over rated, sound quality is not and the cheaper the components you use the more issues you are going to have with them. Which translates into a non working caller 30 minutes before shooting time or an amp that burns out mid hunt that you more than likely have no spare components to fix or trouble shoot.

Do what you can with what you have and continue on from there every year. Getting into snow goose hunting can seem pretty overwhelming but I can assure you guys are having phenomenal shoots over small spreads hunting the right conditions and right birds. Either way there is nothing like chasing snows and at the end of the day you should have a blast no matter what!

salthunter and Empty Skies like this.
  2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Where on Face book? a used spread would be fine.
    Right now Im going it alone. All was such a great hunt that I had, cheaper than the cruise my wife and I planned:eek: A whole lot painful since it took me 40 years to get my duck and goose spread

I may have options. Hunt one or two feeds, then near roosts and away from others. A migrant field just isnt as fun to me.
    I dont want to sound like a know it all,.. but hunting and trapping all my life , Snow goose hunting seems to be a matter , right place right time, decent gear. More of a work level mixed with patience .

I avoid Vegas

Corn and pasture/hay.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

You can buy 10dz Economy Sillosocks for $300. I’d spend $1200 on decoys and $300 on an ecaller/battery/decoy bags. Buy or make a backboard and buy either a couple Tyvek suits or white hoodies with camo pants and you’re set.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I think I've gotten on some of the wrong Facebooks
    Most used, barely used, a few years old. And some women is selling decoys at 90 % of new.

I'll keep looking.
    Thinking of having a kid put together my call.

5. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Timing has to be right, I've done best right after season with people dumping at a good price probably after being frustrated. Or they put a bunch on a credit card and wanna pay it down. Then the fall right before waterfowl seasons its seems people dig out their pile and sell off some stuff. At least I do when I go through my pile.

salthunter likes this.
  6. gilzowg

gilzowg Elite Refuge Member

I have a bunch of decoys and dive bomb are the best socks in my opinion. They are about $500/10 dzn. I think $400 decoys is the minimum you need for an effective spread, but kinda depends on the area and how big the fields/flocks are. I’ve gone down the economy route and that’s fine for filler, but get a good mix of Juvenile and blues. Getting started is expensive. It’s one of the most frustrating birds to hunt, but can be fun when the conditions are right and they want in where you are.

7. Wildpath

Wildpath New Member

You can buy taller stakes for the ss.

8. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Salthunter, these are the facebook groups I'd look into snow goose gear buy and sell, and then Snow Goose Migration, Snow Goose Migration 2.0, Migration Reports, Snow Goose Addiction, Decoys For Sale or Trade (biggest group), Decoy Trader, Anything Waterfowl FOR SALE OR TRADE. If you want to PM me your real name I can add you on facebook and then invite you to all the groups. There may even be a local decoy page for just your state

9. Josh carpenter

Josh carpenter Refuge Member

Definitely e-caller and maybe a mag extension

10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

And a barrel sticker