Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

1542 Design - Feedback

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by nick b, May 11, 2020.

1. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Refuge friends - I am considering purchasing a new-build flat bottom 1542 with a V nose to pair with a Backwater 23 HP long tail. I am evaluating the many options on the market but first, am considering an ideal design for a boat I'd like.

Attached is my preliminary draft for how I think I'd like to set up the layout of the boat. I am not sure yet on which side to put the gun box, could go on either side, if I even get one. Not totally sold on them yet.

This boat will be used for hunting marshes, lakes and shallow rivers, usually by myself or with 1 other hunter. Space to store decoys (3-5 doz) and a portable blind such as my Tanglefree panel blind is priority #1. I do some fishing here and there, but not a major concern.

Feel free to give any input on how you would set up the boat. A different size boat is not an option due to garage storage constraints.

Attached Files:

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

First thing I notice is your putting all you weight on one side of boat. 1542 needs to be balanced better when your full of people. Move battery or gun bx to opposite side. I,m assuming your right handed and going to sit on that right rear bx to run with left arm. Might want to consider moving either gas tank or battery forward to save squat at take off. If your standing to run your going to want a grab bar in there probably about where gun bx is shown on plans. If your going to put blind on boat with corner bxs on either side I,d probably move bx to left side and mount grab bar on right at convenient location.

DTHUR likes this.
  3. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

That's the first thing I noticed as well. I would move the battery to the opposite side of the boat and the fuel tank to the front. A 1542 isn't very wide so weight proper distribution is going to be huge.

4. nick b

Thanks guys, I am also thinking nix the gun box as well after talking with a dealer, better to maximize space in a smaller boat like a 1542 especially since I've always got guns in cases anyway.

I have a small 3 gallon gas tank so hopefully that will not make too much of a difference weight wise. Battery will go as light as I can to balance cranking the motor with running lights.

Anyone have thoughts on whether floors are worth the cost and weight? Leaning towards no but open to conversation.

5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

You,ll regret not getting a factory floor if available. They can always be put in out of plywood but that's maintance down the rd. as it will rot out. Every aluminum boat I,ve bought without floor my first work on them was install aluminum floor. But I already had the sheet goods. Get the floor

longduck and Waxed Canvas like this.
  6. nick b

Backwater with a 22 HP Predator acquired yesterday. Should be a fun little motor.

I think that makes sense plus foam can be put under the floor to help meet CG requirements.

I am thinking I may be able to squeeze a 1642 in the garage if I find the right trailer. May require a swing away tongue, but the cost is barely anything on the boat, $150 or so, which seems totally worth it for the extra foot. Looking at Weldbilt boats primarily.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  7. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

get the 16!!!!!!!!!!

8. nick b

Looking like that’s what I’m doing. The trailer, boat and motor total 22 feet, so with a 2 foot swing away tongue it should fit fine as that will take off 2 feet of trailer tongue totaling 20 feet.

Nobody ever regrets getting a bigger boat and I should actually see a little better speeds with the 1642 vs a 1542 as long tails like long and skinny boats. The 1642 is only 30 lbs more.

I also am adding two pedestal seat bases so that I can use seats for fishing as well as joy rides with the kids so they’re not just sitting on the floor.

9. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

For that size boat I'd skip the gun box. I had one in a 16x48 and it was in the way. I went wide open on my current rig.

20200406_114945.jpg

10. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

what boat is that?