15g/cc #7 shot Federal Turkey load sale at Rogers.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by derbyacresbob, Jan 12, 2021.

1. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

I just checked and Rogers still has the 12 ga 3-1/2 FHW 15g/cc 1-7/8 oz loads on sale for $12.99 per box. So if you order 8 boxes that comes to $103.92 with free shipping.
    https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com...-turkey-shotshells-12ga-3-1-2-1-7-8oz-1300fps

You get 75 ounces of the 15g/cc shot for $103.92, that comes to about $1.39 per ounce.

At BPI when they had the Sphero Tungsten in 20 pound bags it was $599.99 plus shipping. That comes to about $1.60 per ounce.

It is pretty easy to open the crimps on the Fed 3-1/2" hulls and pour the shot out. I used a earth magnet to remove the shot from the beads and buffer but a friend of mine told me about using a vacuum cleaner to remove the buffer and beads from the shot. He just holds the vacuum hose above the shot, beads and buffer that is in a bowl and stirs it with his fingers while holding the vacuum hose just close enough to suck up the beads and buffer, the shot stays in the bowl.

It is also easy to cut the 3-1/2 shells down to just a little longer than 3" and remove the FLITECONTROL wads and then trim the hulls to 3" hulls and reload them.

If you reload for a 410 or 28 ga this 15g/cc #7 shot will make your little shotgun into a very effective little waterfowl shotgun including geese.

For $103.92 for just the shot you can reload 150 ea 410, 1/2 oz reloads or 100 ea 28 ga 3/4 oz reloads with out having to invest a large sum of money to do it.

Dave in AZ, Dr Swane and bustsducks like this.
  2. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

And the components can be repurposed. Or shoot long range geese in a 12 for less than Apex prices.

3. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

This is the load I use to hunt turkeys. Very effective load, and can drop a turkey where it stands at 45 yards. I never had to shoot a turkey any further than that, but wouldn't be afraid to try with this load.

4. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Does Federal make these exclusively for Roger's? I can't seem to find them anywhere else yet Roger's has enough to perpetually clearance them off.

5. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I think Rogers bought the whole stock when it was discontinued.

6. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

OK, that would make sense based on the limited couple of choices left. They must have gotten truckloads with how long they've been clearancing them off.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Derby, you removing the powder from them also when cutting them down or using their powder and finding a wad and payload that will fit.

Tempted to try the 7’s in my 28 although the HW13-6’s have done a good job too.

Dave in AZ and Dr Swane like this.
  8. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

I was told it’s old ammo/brass and the brass may have defects, that’s why it’s sold at discounted prices. Some of the 10 gauge I have bought and shot have had cracks before or after shooting.

I was told by federal it’s 100% brass and will degrade overtime.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Those shells, at $2.60 a shell, are pretty cheap for a tungsten load.
    Still too rich for my blood, considering how many shells I shoot in a season.
    I'm too used to spending forty cents a shoot......

10. Andrew Caldieraro

Andrew Caldieraro Refuge Member

I purchased these in the 2 3/4” and 3” versions for duck and goose hunting. Prior to hunting, I patterned them with my browning gold using a few aftermarket chokes. The patterns were very inconsistent and they patterned a fair share higher than all of my other waterfowl loads. I’ve used them in the field a few times without much luck. I’m not blaming it on the shells bc I’m not an excellent shot, but I’ve had better luck in the field with steel shot that patterns more consistently. I won’t mess with reloading these, and I won’t buy more even at the clearance price.