16 gauge dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, May 28, 2019.

1. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I would try to find someone has an old A-5. Plenty were made. Hopefully you can find someone. I have kinda started collecting them. I have 5 at this point. They aren't for everyone. Some of my buddies like them, some can't shoot them or stand them. I would try to track one down to try. Of course if you find a good deal on one you should be able to turn it over pretty quick, if it's a light twenty or sweet sixteen.

If you find yourself in VA let me know. I'll let you try a few.

2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I shoot 4s for the most part, 2s if the geese decide to play.

3. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Senior Refuge Member

I was thinking the new A5 Sweet Sixteen just feels cheap to me. No engraving + aluminum receiver and finish looks like plastic. I just don't see how it's worth $1400, the only good thing about it is that it can shoot steel + has chokes.

4. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

So far I have a few loads worked up, enough pellet count there I can try 1 3/4 oz loads to get a bit more speed from them and still have enough downrange. 1 7/8 oz is what I'm working with right now but gonna try a few other payload weights.

5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

With the density increase, with biz, are you using STEEL or Blue Dot? With increased pressures are using Winchester primers? Assuming 209A’s may be a tad hot.

6. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Some of both with lighter loads I'm using Blue Dot and heavier loads I'm going to try STEEL and see how that does.

Sunklands likes this.
  7. Hawkeyebowhunter

So I should be looking for a Japanese A5 16.

I may take it after teal- with that gun could I duplex steel with some Spherotungsten?

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Hawkeye,

If a 1 1/8 ounce load of #7 TSS will face plant a 22# Rio at 37 yards with the SS & factory MOD tube and DRT mallards and redhead to 70+ yards you’re good to go for most anything that has feathers and a heartbeat.

9. Hawkeyebowhunter

I'm definitely a believer in heavier than lead non tox, just trying to find a lesser expensive route for my 16, hoping to duplex say 1/4 TSS or HW15 with 3/4 steel so I dont have to use fillers and cards, while still having a deadly load if that makes sense?

10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I’m gonna say, that just plain old biz from a 16 gauge will do a number on ducks at 40 yards with a full choke. From what I’ve seen and read, biz likes a tighter choke. You either bust’em or you miss, that is if you’re trying to get all the range as possible. If you’re hunting in the woods, then a more open choke and #3 or #4 steel will kill’em just as dead. Though I shoot a 20, when it comes to sub gauges, I feel like a 2.75” 16, will out pattern a 3” 20.