16 gauge dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, May 28, 2019.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Bore diameter is very crucial when it comes to comparing even patterns, such is why a 10 gauge will out pattern a 3.5” 12.

2. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

If your going to shoot bismuth or other soft shot any older Sweet or Standard 16 will do just fine. With a little looking you can find a very nice belgian gun with a poly on it for under $700.00.

Mrs.10GAGENUT and JP like this.
  3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I’m not a fan of duplex loads and while potentially saving money the performance in the field (for me) has been subpar. The first such commercial load I recall was a Federal “TriPlex” lead load in 2’s, 4’s & 6’s marketed as a “be all” load for a variety of ranges. They didn’t last long as when the lead hit the feathers the results sucked. One of the latest iterations of this concept is EMI’s Heavy Metal load. IMO, a gimmick load as those who’ve put it through a thorough pattern test quickly found it to basically fizzle out past 35 yards due to it’s spreader tendency.

I have TSS, HW15, HS13, ITX 10 & Bismuth on hand as well as steel. In the SS or BPS, the TSS or HW/HS is the third round in most instances. With the O/U those loads often occupy the top barrel. Steel in 4’s and/or 5’s sit in front. I do plan on trying more open chokes with #3 & #2 Steel at the pattern range once things dry out around here.

I am becoming more and more convinced the two primary gauges needed for waterfowl hunting is the Sweet Sixteen and Mighty Ten.

4. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

1987 to 2001 I think, Browning produced the 16ga Auto5 all made in Japan with invector choke system. Buy a 1987 or later auto5, you will have a miroku with screw in chokes and thicker barrel good for steel. I bought exactly this last oct. Love it, way better than the new a5.

Working on 16ga loads now. Just beard today hevimetal has a nice 9/8oz 4shot 16ga bismuth load at 1350, that is an outstanding setup if true.
    Do NOT try to duex bismuth, waste of time.
    420gr 3shot steel loads at 1500ish fps doable, good duck load, good in the miroku guns.

Hawkeyebowhunter and Sunklands like this.
  5. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

For some reason I've found thicker barrels in the 16 will do much better with steel shot loads than thin wall barrels. My 1100 has really thick barrel walls probably because Remington used 12 gauge barrels to make them and just bored them to 16 gauge.

6. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

The Automatic-5 which ended production in the 90’s is not the same gun as the current A-5. The old Auto-5 was (is... there were a lot made and they last forever) a long recoil action gun with a steel machined receiver. The new A5 superficially resembles the old gun for marketing purposes, but operates on the short recoil principle and makes use of lighter weight materials. The old guns are wonderful machines, and far higher quality in my opinion... but, educate yourself about them. There are different friction ring setting for different loads that you’ll need to learn—the Auto-5 doesn’t compensate for different load intensity by itself the way modern guns do. Superficial cleaning is easy, but taking the gun apart for any reason is a task best left to a gunsmith unless you have a manual and the right tools. Some folks don’t care for the barrel recoiling, they find it pogo-sticky (doesn’t bother me any, but just be aware). The new A5 has none of these “quirks” as it is a fully modern short recoil gun.

That said, every time I shoot my 1964 Belgian Light 12 I know I’m holding a working piece of history in my hands, JMB’s finest accomplishment (my opinion). And dang if I don’t happen to think they’re pretty!

7. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Senior Refuge Member

Hello sir, have you tried the HW13 #6's in a 16 gauge recipe at all?

8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

First, I’ll second the TSS for being the stuff. #9s out of a 20ga will pass completely through a 21# turkey BODY, side to side, to at least 43yards...both wings included.

If you can find a polychoked 16ga A5 bbl, you’re good to go, too. They pattern FAR better than many would expect, up to about IM. They’ll also handle steel, etc. my sweets have always been killers....even when you thought you were under-gunned.

Hawkeyebowhunter and JP like this.
  9. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Senior Refuge Member

I’d like to have both. But, I’d probably buy a new A5 first. I know people that love them. I don’t know anybody with a sweet 16. In fact, I’m the only person that I know with a 16, period. Even though the new one has screw in chokes, don’t expect a lot of options as far as replacements go. Luckily, the stock set should be pretty good.

10. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Senior Refuge Member

I’d like to have both. But, I’d probably buy a new A5 first. I know people that love them. I don’t know anybody with a sweet 16. In fact, I’m the only person that I know with a 16, period. Even though the new one has screw in chokes, don’t expect a lot of options as far as replacements go. Luckily, the stock set should be pretty good.