16 gauge dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, May 28, 2019.

1. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Senior Refuge Member

bbl?

Thanks for the heads up, I am going to head down to Arts in Missouri if I can't find any local Japan sweet 16's

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Barrel=bbl

I’ve got one of mine with a pristine, factory cylinder bore VR. I generally run a polychoked slick tube on it for hunting. Saves the rare one and gives me choke options. I don’t have to care what I shoot in it, either. If you can find a poly choke on eBay, Art’s can install them.

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  3. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just some advice, call Brad at Arts and speak with him before you go there. Great people and they will be glad to have you but sometimes it's better to call and see what he has in stock. Just going there to see some of the higher value guns is worth it though.

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  4. Hawkeyebowhunter

? for you on the polychoke. The gentlemen I spoke with at Art's actually recommended finding a Japanese sweet with the poly on it already.

I'm a younger guy-they faded out of popularity before I ever got the chance to use one.
    Would I want to find a more open barrel like cyl or skeet to use with the poly?

I don't quite understand how they work. Say I had a barrel choked down to full, but then a poly on it to open back up to IM, wouldn't that have negative consequences on the pattern as the shot is already being choked down through the barrel?

5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

The barrel will have to be cut back to cylinder bore or sweated /sized back to cylinder bore. If your going as far to buy a jap Auto 5, then find a later one with Invector chokes. After a certain date they discontinued the standard 16 and only made the Sweet. As far as modifying the barrel, to accommodate a poly choke, I’d either shoot bismuth or have the barrel bored as tapped for Tru-choke thread and buy some thin wall Carlson Tru-chokes(excellent chokes for the $) for about $18 a piece. Just throwing out some choices but, it’d be hard for me to hack on a 20 gauge or 16 gauge Auto 5.

Dave in AZ and Hawkeyebowhunter like this.
  6. Hawkeyebowhunter

I gotcha, so if a poly choke comes on the gun (which is the one I'm looking at) it would have already been modified to be opened up a bit vs having a F or mod barrel?

Sunklands likes this.
  7. Sunklands

If you do decide to go with the gun with the polychoke on it, I strongly encourage you to shoot it(if possible) before you buy it. I’d say most were put on by good gunsmiths but if not, it may not shoot where your aiming. Just sayin.

8. Hawkeyebowhunter

Thank you for the heads up, makes sense. The guy I spoke with at Art's invited me to come down and shoot as many as i'd like, going to take him up on the offer when I have some more funds ready to go.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Sunkland's good advice to test fire the gun should extend to pattern-testing the Poly Choke at each setting to confirm that it is operating properly.
    Adjustable chokes were notorious for throwing patterns that did not match their settings.

Sunklands likes this.
  10. Sunklands

If it’s at Art’s I can assure you that it’s right.