16 gauge dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, May 28, 2019.

1. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your stating, but why would you want to go through all that trouble when you could just get a Jap A-5 with an Invector barrel on it an be done with?? Wasn't a Belgian model your speaking of was it??

2. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Or get the new A-5 and have a gun that is designed to shoot steel shot and a lighter gun for upland birds, and not something you're afraid of scratching or getting wet, and much easier to clean.

3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

.........or get the REAL thang, that is a much better gun.
    A jap with an Invector barrel, will handle steel shot. Japanese barrels will handle steel, because when production moved from FN to Miroku japan, rifle barrel steel was used for shotgun barrels. “Easier to clean”, now that’s arguable.

4. Sunklands

To add, even the early jap barrels that were fixed choke, will shoot steel but may not pattern larger shot as well.

5. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Senior Refuge Member

I'm looking for one, I think they had one belgium model with the polychoke on it. I like the idea of the Japanese barrel in case I want to chase after teal or something and can shoot steel if I get the itch.

6. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Senior Refuge Member

Honestly I'm not going to pay $1400+ for a gun that looks and feels cheap. I like the idea of the new Sweet Sixteens, but they don't do it for me.

7. Sunklands

“Light weight”, doesn’t always equivalate to successful shooting.

Mrs.10GAGENUT likes this.
  8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Most of your questions were covered. I’d say Belgian/Jap make for a barrel is irrelevant if adding a poly choke. I wouldn’t whack/swage a nice IC/Mod barrel, but a beater full barrel, I’d cut back to 24-25” and polychoke it in a heartbeat. If you find a Belgian poly, I think ‘7’ or ‘11’ were the Browning factory Poly Choke markings. If you find one with tubes, you’re all set. There are 100+ year old Auto 5s running strong. There are ZERO new A5s running strong after even 10 years. ;)

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.
  9. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If you want PM me an E mail address and I'll send you in a PDF what I have on Polychokes, I beleive Lyman was the first to develop them and the information is from an old Lyman manual on their adjustables.

10. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I have a new A-5 with zero issues. But I have only had it 3 years . I think some early models got a bad rap. I hunt with 3 others who shoot them. No issues. But they aren't and old auto-5 either.

Sunklands and Hawkeyebowhunter like this.