16 gauge dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Hawkeyebowhunter, May 28, 2019.

1. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

I agree. I have a bunch of 1 1/4 oz 16 gauge loads and would hate to think of a good weekend with those in one of the new sweets. When close to 5 lbs. for the gun 3/4 oz of shot is about all I want.

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

LOL....I had a super light (alloy) Belgian 20ga auto 5 that was down close to 5#, and it really needed to be a 28ga.

3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Are you sure it was a Belgian alloy? Savage made a 775A that had an aluminum receiver or a steel receiver light 20.

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

100%....only a few Browning versions ever made (all gauges).....shipped from Belgian custom shop, sans barrel. Browning Utah put a 24” Belgian Skeet choked barrel in the box and shipped them to the special order dealer. HM Shirley who owned over 3k Auto 5s had only ever seen a handful. He owned 3, another one was mine for a time. Similar version of Acer special was sold in Europe.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=208821&start=0

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  5. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

As someone who doesn’t roll his own, the Sweet 16 dilemma for me came down to factory load availability. If I can’t find readily available target or steel loads it doesn’t help me much.

I have been a dedicated 20ga shooter for years. Saw and handled a new sweet 16 this weekend and loved it. But the store it was at did not have a single box of shells. Decided to hold off on that one.

Tuleman likes this.
  6. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

So many people are in the same boat with factory offerings for the 16.
    I've gotten some fairly good deals on 16 gauge guns and really enjoy shooting them, for me at least rolling my own has opened up a whole world of really good guns and hunting enjoyment.

JP and Hawkeyebowhunter like this.
  7. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Right, but I'm still waiting for Kent or Federal to make some 1500 FPS 16 gauge loads. Pretty pathetic that some nice new 16 gauges are in production, but you can't find many decent shells for them and the ones they offer are $$$$.

8. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Probably get the same old story. I spoke with a Remington Rep at a gun show not to long after I bought two of the last run 1100 16 gauges in 2003 about factory ammo. Answer I got was pretty much status quo, they didn't feel there was enough of a market to justify it.
    Got a nice Remington ball cap out of the deal though so not a total loss !!

9. Hawkeyebowhunter

Hawkeyebowhunter Senior Refuge Member

Anybody have a lead on a Japanese Sweet 16 barrel? I found the action/stock

10. OldGriz

OldGriz Senior Refuge Member

I'm pretty sure that any Belgian or Japanese barrel will work. The only difference that I can see is the barrel ring on a Belgian barrel has 3 holes in it, probably for weight reduction. A Japanese barrel doesn't have these 3 holes. I can think of no functional purpose for these holes.

Hawkeyebowhunter likes this.