Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

1648 rivet vs 1652 weld, and MM Help. Long post

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by TGarrow, Feb 11, 2020.

1. TGarrow

TGarrow New Member

Been lurking in here for a while, can't quite find the answers I'm looking for, or maybe hoping for. First time poster here.

Hopefully someone can end this nightmare or at least make sense of it.

Currently I have a lowe 1448 riveted mod V with 25hp outboard. I use it to fish with the kids, pull them on a knee board, summer stuff etc. But maybe most importantly to duck hunt with.

1--- two motors is one too many. I have a 5.5 Hp mud motor as a kicker. It gets me by but barely.

2--- I hunt public water. A 10km or 6mile long lake (yes, I'm Canadian, sorry) with a marsh at one end with 4 floating islands. I can walk on the islands and usually hide in the cattails. The launch is about 2-3 miles from duck habitat. I have been running the outboard with the boat on plane almost right to the spot I put the dekes out at. I then put the mud motor in, putter around the boggy islands, hide the boat, and walk on the island back to the dekes. I can't get out of the boat in the water. About 1' of water and a bottomless pit of what I call "Loonshi*" (basically mud). When we leave I have to putter out to deep water before I can use the outboard.

3----right now I usually only take 1 other guy, myself, the dog, couple doz dekes. and 45lbs of shotgun shells. Oh and lunch. I would love to be able bring more than one guy at a time but boat and the tiny home made mud motor just wont let me. If no one asked me to take them duck hunting I probably wouldn't be writing this, but duck hunting is infectious and I love spreading it.

Ok. so here is where I need some advice from the boat and mud motor folks. When I first started looking for boats I figured 1652 all the way and a 23 longatil would do the trick..... ugh I never should have started to research

I want to be able to drive this boat in about 6inches of water that sits above 8feet of muck/mud/marsh/Loonshi*. My current 1448 sinks too much or the mud motor is too small or both.

So I feel like some opinions are going to be get a bigger boat, or get a bigger motor. I am limited to my length of boat because of my house and garage set up. And I cant justify a new house for duck hunting, well I can justify it but I can't sell that to the wife. So I'm stuck at 16feet

So... Question #1, will a LOADED 1648 riveted mod v sit higher or lower than a 1652 mod v welded? Loaded being maxed right out. (Cost probably not an issue with the boat)

Question #2, Pods yes?, this seems like a no brainer right? (Cost probably not an issue with pods)

Question #3, will a 23 hp longtail push either the loaded 1648 or 1652 in shallow water/mud. Any prop size opinions would be great too. I'll probably order a few of them though. (Cost is an issue with motor size)

I'm not necessarily looking to go mach 1 as I'm not going far from the launch. But I do want to be able to go into more shallow water/shore and hunt from a boat blind rather than always limited to the islands.

As far as the mud motor and tail well... Being in Canada we seem to pay a premium for, well, everything haha. I think I will be fabricating my own longtail and I'm pretty confident in that aspect.(will have to order props) So for arguments sake let's say it's a 23hp predator with a longtail.
    For me to get. 23hp predator it will cost about $1100 CAD (after import taxes) and that's if I find someone to bring it up to me or drive to a harbour freight just south of the boarder. (8 hours one way lol) a honda 688 vtwin is $2800 CAD at our canadian harbour freight sister store.
    Well, if you have gotten to the bottom of this post I appreciate it, and I hope it has made sense. Hopefully I get a few replies. I tried to include as much info about what I want the boat to be able to do and my restrictions.

Travis

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

The wider bottom boat will immediately draw less water. Your present 25 might push it but you,ll probably not be satisfied with speed obtained. Can,t speak on mud motor .

3. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I have a riveted 1648 lowe with a go devil 18hp longtail on it. It will plane with two guys and a light hunting load. Add a 3rd guy or a heavy load and the boat will not plane. It will go through just about anything, it just wont plane. If you are planning on hauling any kind of big load you will need a 35hp to get either boat on step.

black brant likes this.
  4. TGarrow

TGarrow New Member

Duckbuster, ya I'll be putting a 40 or 50 with console steering for summer play and fishing.

5. TGarrow

TGarrow New Member

Thanks JohnBZ, I'm not really looking for too much speed as I'm not travelling too far for hunting. More worried about the mud and the amount of torque needed to move the boat in muddy water. What size of prop do you run with your 18hp go devil?

6. JohnBZ

It has a 9x4 on it.

7. TGarrow

TGarrow New Member

Thanks, might be a good point to keep the pitch low if I have to go with an underpowered motor.

8. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

Your best option is to make one of the tagalongs get their own boat.

Even a 1652 with 3 guys, and a fair amount of gear will be cramped. And loaded...a 23hp longtail will be severely underpowered. You could get by with 2 guys. I personally would not do it. Also, any hull with any deadrise will draft more water that an equal sized flat bottom.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. TGarrow

TGarrow New Member

Ok, ya before I make my buddies get their own boat I gotta get them out there a few more times, but ya I see your point. Also could be tough to tell the wife and kids to get their own boat when they come.

Deadrise? I'm a bit lost on that one. I figured the two boat choices would have the same shape both being mod V's? Would they have different deadrise?

10. JohnBZ

Look at the transom. If you can see even the smallest of a V on the bottom that is deadrise. Deep V boats have alot of deadrise. My boat has a mod V bow but the pad is flat.