20-21 Plantation Bottoms'

rtjrex & MollyAnn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
Hello Gents -
Another year came and went, and we're all still here, Good Lord willing! Im a tad late in starting a new thread due to a number of issues out of my control, but Im back in the saddle again.
SO, here we go! This year me & Andrew turn 70. Ole Stuff' paved the way and said it was ok, so we I reckon we'll follow him over. The thing is, I guess we never considered all 3 of us would be still going at it at 70+. Kinda seems to be not a problem as long as we do it our way which is pretty much how we do it anyways. SLOW and in no hurry.
Me & Maggs and Andrew went over yesterday to find our blinds before it was too late. We were getting afraid that if we waited another week or two, they would be stranding up in a Cottonwood with no way of recovery. Anyways, all was good and didn't even get wet, fall in, stung, fall down or bleed. We found the old Hilton Blind right off and all it needed was turning around and re-setting the spud poles - DONE!
IMG_4776.JPG

The MollyAnn blind we had to go looking for. We rode all over the Bottoms' looking in every nook and cranny for a place that a 30' blind might find to hide in.

IMG_4771.JPG

There it was! The water had dropped about 6 or 7 feet so we were concerned. But, all is well. 2 spud poles came up pretty easy and off we go. About 700 yds later and the old girl was back in her resting place awaiting on the water to drop. Andrew dropped the spud poles and we had about 1' to spare.

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

We figured the water would go on and drop but we tied it off just in case.

IMG_4766.JPG

Now we start the clean up from all of the dang drift and mess that has floated up from the high water in a week or two. Andrew says this time we're using the root rake and tractor to help in the clean up!

Anyways,
Me & Maggs.......

metalworx

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Rex,
Glad to see you guys going on the new thread. Best wishes and keep us updated!!

Metalworx

rtjrex & MollyAnn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good day all,
Ole Stuff' came by a week or two ago and in passing, he mentioned a good mess of Crawfish sure would be a great way to start off the year. Well, that got me to thinking and I remembered I got a mess of Crawfish a while back at Publix. Seems that I walked by the frozen fish section and saw a sack of frozen mudbugs from Slidell, La or somewhere in that area. Born and bred Cajuns selling born and bred crawfish of the US of A. Not China, or some other 3rd world country farmed for US consumption.
Anyways, they were farmed in La and I thought maybe they might be good. I went down to the freezer and dug around and found them.
The instructions said to microwave or put them in a steamer. Well, my Missus' was not going to let me put them in her microwave and I didn't want to stink up the kitchen with something that might be worth a damn to eat. I opted to put them on the grill. Well 15 or 20 minutes later I pulled them off and dug in. Danged, they were great!
The seasoning was perfect, the size was perfect, & the taste was fantastic! The only problem was that it was only 3 lbs and not the 5lbs as prescribed by Ole Stuff'.

Anyways, Anytime I see these in Publix, I'm getting some!

IMG_4787.JPG

Me & Maggs....

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you gots a handle on the bottoms. I haven't been over to LR in several weeks to check on things, didn't want to disturb momma goose whats got a nest on top of the blind. I'm pretty sure she's hatched off the young'uns by now.
You eat all dem bass baits all by your lonesome?

rtjrex & MollyAnn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, and I aint ashamed of it neither! They were good! - no, GREAT!! It kinda makes longing for the good ole days at ThorneSide Cabin when we bought 50# to 55lbs of the little stinkers and had a sure enough Eatin Meetin'! But, that was a bunch of work back then, and a whole bunch more now!

Me & Maggs......

fireduck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Rex- How is the shoulder mending? Did you use the bad shoulder lifting up the bugs to eat:l Looks like it was a good pile! Ole Stuff sure did miss out!

rtjrex & MollyAnn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hi Kenny -
The shoulder is coming around quite nicely, and thank you for asking! Plenty of motion, just no strength yet, but thats coming.

Me & Maggs........

rtjrex & MollyAnn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Morning Folks -
Finally, something is getting back to a kind of normal. My motion is pretty much back to normal (except I don't really have any strength yet) and my Missus' is beginning to give me orders, so I believe Im getting back to some goofing off that Im used to. I "aced" the stress test that the saw bones ordered so that's a good thing.
Maybe things will be on the up and up now.

I started fishing again, really more to have something to do than anything else. I caught 8 crappie that measured good til the wind picked up, and then me and Maggs
headed back in. Nothing better shows goofing off better than fishing, ceptin' drinking beer & fishin' but it was 7:00am and I anit that bold.
IMG_4792.jpg

Life is good now, even if there is Covid19 lurking in the background.

Me and Maggs'........