Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

20-21 Plantation Bottoms'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, May 17, 2020.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Not dove hunting today, waitin' on Saturday. Omar says we got an invite somewheres. Shot a public field opening day and it was a mess. Red clay that had been rained on for three days was slicker than snot. Lots of birds but lots of shooters too. Poor fellow 'bout 75 yards in front of me got hit with two shots from about 25-30 yards away. Messed him up pretty good. Game wardens shut down the field while the paramedics worked on the guy. I understand he took about 6 pellets to the head and dozens to the body. Also had three pellet strikes to his sunglasses. Bambalance left and the shooting started again then the T storm rolled in and put a damper on the whole thing. Public hunting at it's finest.

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I walked into a public field opening day and walked right back out. Field was well done, and there were a lot of birds, but there was nowhere a man could get 30 yards between him and the next fella. More folks were coming as I was leaving.

3. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Razor an me took out the inlet for a lil night fishin on the full moon tide shift Tues. Nary a nibble fo two hrs but when the moon got up good twere a barfight. Wrecked a reel and snapped a rod but we boated five 43-50". IMG_20200901_213306890.jpg
    IMG_20200901_214729659.jpg IMG_20200901_210738791.jpg

And one to help ol Rex sleep at night... IMG_20200901_204215437.jpg

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. GUNNERX2

Nice reds.
    I hear shark fin soup is good eats.

5. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Thanks a bunch for thinking of me! That sharks' momma is gonna get you! You sho' is standing in a crime scene aint ya'..

Me & Maggs.....

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

IMG_4918.jpg Me & Maggs, Stuff' & TnPD met up on Saturday morn to give it a whirl with the Teal & Woodies.
    We had a bunch of breakdowns and was it ever funny!
    TnPD started it off. He shot in to the 1st bunch tealbirds and when the 2nd shot rang out, so the the gun. The spring, plug, 2 rings, & the cap went flying out. 2nd and very shortly after, Stuff' was over cussin' & fussin' bout his shooter. Seems it was hung up but good. Turns out, he don't know what happened, but he did end up with a 16 ga shell stuck in the barrel(and he don't even own a 16 ga.) Stuff' keeps a custom built stoger at all times so anything goes!

IMG_4917.jpg

After all of the laughing, then my SBE tries to put two hulls in the barrel at the same time and it locks up. All three guns down within minutes. With some work and a good beating to Stuff's firearm and a stiff 16 penny nail, Stuff was back up and at least shooting one shell(cause he only tried one). TnPD gun was sacked up mainly cause' the parts went flying who knows where.

I finally got mine up and working in time to fire off a round or two.
    We ended up with 3 tealbirds and a crippled woody for the effort. Of course, Stuff's boots leaked so we had to get the boat out(which was planned all along Im pretty sure) for a ride over.
    IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

All in all, it was a good morning. We got a few & miss a few and let some go to seed for another time. BUT! At 77, and two at 69+, we had a great time!

Me & Maggs.......

7. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

If everything went as planned and worked perfect 100% of the time, life would sure be boring, wouldn't it.
    As far as my life goes, I consider Murphy's Law, "Anything that can go wrong, will," a touch of optimism.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

A dove shoot would have uncovered firearm issues before it cost ducks.

riverrat47 likes this.
  9. GUNNERX2

At least you didn't let the teal beat you down completely.

10. rtjrex & MollyAnn

You know, yesterday evening whilst' nursing a Crown on the porch, the north-east wind started blowing. Blew that way til' I went to bed. I told my Missus' that them little Tealbirds will be down in Ms somewhere come in the morning. Did you see em' on Radar did you?? Just sayin'.... Well, they weren't no wheres' around Plantation Bottoms' anyways this morning. But, boy was the water ever up. Bout' seven feet in elevation best I could tell. There were a few woodies around and now there are two less.
    The gooses were there but we gave em' a pass. We took a vote and beings Stuff' was not there, we didn't want the old nasty things to clean.
    It was a good morning just the same and now I think I got it out of my system.

I got to thinkin, and I don't think ole Maggs' has got her pix taken this year. Well, here they is!

IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

All in all, it was good to be there. Now we can get busy brushin'....

Me & Maggs.......

deac, riverrat47, Reelcranky and 2 others like this.