Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

20-21 Plantation Bottoms'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, May 17, 2020.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That all looks good Mr Rex. Glad you got to plant something. Them mulching machines are the bees knees on privet.

2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Afternoon all -
    The funny part is that I have no idea as to what TnPuddleduck & Clayton are talking about for the most part. All I know is that you spray 2-4-D on grasses(and Sudan/sorghum is a grass) to kill or slow the growth on Cockleburs. And them Cockleburs are taking over. We never kill them, just control them a little bit anyways.
    We spray Gly-4 for the rest of it. A fella gave me his sprayer cause he couldn't control it and it was a good'un too. 55 gallon Ag Spray that works off the power-takeoff.
    Heck! its easy! 2 gear, and a way she goes! You can cover 5 acres in no time. It sprays out 35 to 40' a pass! I sprayed this morning about 3/4s of what I planted. Water got the rest. It was take a chance and kill the cockerburs and get the sun to it or let it be and gamble with the rain. I sprayed and we'll see what happens...
    If I killed it, or the water kills it, I'll just plant it again. Its got about a 45 to 60 day maturity, depending on how late you plant it.

You are right about that mulching machine! Well worth 125.00 an hour and not having to use a chainsaw and a back. Then you got to stack and burn.

Me & Maggs.........

3. stevena198301

Did that include him operating it? If so, you got a deal. Folks are getting over $200/hour here. I want to rent one for about a week one spring.

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Yes sir... 125.00 an hour & includes operator. This guy as two of them. After seeing him bounce & jerk around in that thing,
    I dont want any part of riding around 8 or 10 hrs in that thing. Besides, if you know what you are doing, you can clean up a bunch, if you dont, it would be slow, and if you get into any old wire - you got real problems.
    You got a bunch of money, heck buy one. Me, I had a little extra egg money for afford 8 hrs of clean-up and save my back.
    If it broke, thats on him and boy it can break if you dont know what you're doing!

Me & Maggs............

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

@deac, best you pull yo hat down tight, find yo water wings and hang onto Oz.

6. stevena198301

I been going the poor mans method of “spray as much as possible” for the last few years. I quit trying to cut it back, and just try to keep it under control, for now. When my aunt owned this place, she had a guy come in with one of those. He was the only game in town back then, and she ended up with a $3500 bill. He did make it look nice though. I swear, that stuff grows faster than one man can manually keep it cut it out.

7. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Privet is much more vulnerable to spraying during the winter. Just don't spray when the ground is frozen.

8. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Hey, how about some pics of the sorghum. :)

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Hi Mr. Scott -
    Sadly, the rains got the Sudan/Sorghum. It was about 4 to 6" high, but heavy rains over the weekend covered it up by 2'.
    Thats just farming..... It happens. I knew there was a 50% chance I was wasting my time.
    Anyway, when it goes down, we might re-plant... But, me & Maggs got to play in the water over the weekend at least.
    I did see a couple 100 carp dead at the spillway at the joining leevee. It always happens and I got no idea why they die right there.

Me & Maggs.......

10. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Gents -
    Last Sunday afternoon, my Missus & I(and Maggs) were taking a late afternoon run on the lake, just because. She was real quite and finally said, I really don't like this.
    I don't know what to do. If we had got a small houseboat like we had talked about, I would. DANG! What? Fellas, you just never know whats going on in a females head!
    49+ years with this lady, and I still don't know. Well, lets sell this one and look for a small houseboat. Simple as that I said. But, I aint giving it away. that's for sure!
    I gave like 23 or 24,000 new. I know I aint going to get near that cause I got it new... Well, I figured I would sell a package! Boat, Hydra hoist lift(gave 500.00 for that used), & slip(that was up for yearly renewal this week.) I put it in Craigslist for 20,000 firm.. Within two hours, I could have sold 5 of them! I thought if I got 2 couple of calls that would be something. I think the slip and the lift did it, but whatever..Im going to the bank today.
    Me & Maggs......

Clayton likes this.