20-21 Season

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by timbutcher, Sep 28, 2020.

1. timbutcher

timbutcher Moderator Moderator

Hen killer......

Nice strap!

Buster_AZ likes this.
  2. Buster_AZ

Buster_AZ Senior Refuge Member

I never pass on a green wing! Too fine of table fare for me to pass up ;)

3. KellyC

KellyC New Member

Hen killer, that's funny! I was out scouting the other day and it was almost sundown. Toward the end of my hike, I flushed five ducks off the water but out of range. They split up in the air and I was able to see where two of them went and it wasn't far. I worked my way in their direction and then eased down thru the trees and brush about where I thought they should be. I was able to find a spot to sit where I could see the water and thought I could see a duck's head with the naked eye. I got my field glasses out and sure enough, there was a hen in the rocks looking around. I started looking around and found her buddy, another hen, swimming toward her from about five yards away. She climbed out of the water and stood there next to her friend. But there were three "problems" that went through my mind. First, I'd have to ground sluice them right from where I sat because by the time I stood up and cleared the trees, they would have launched and a 35-40 yard shot would probably be a 50+ yard shot real quick. They were so close together that I think one shot would do it, but I really don't like to sluice birds so that was a problem. Second, they were both hens and I try not to shoot hens unless it's been a very slow day and I'm frustrated. I will shoot them, but I try not to! Three, they were fairly small ducks and I thought they were teal, but I couldn't get a full visual to confirm that and they were too far away the first time I flushed them to get a positive ID. So I had to ask myself, do I want to sluice two small hens and then retrieve them in about knee deep water? I lamented the fact that I wasn't wearing waders as this was just a scouting trip and I wasn't planning on getting wet (dumb, yes, I know). So again I asked myself, do I want to sluice two hens, probably teal, and then get wet, and then hike back to my truck in the dark with the temperature dropping and then have to pluck said ducks with only about enough meat between them for a side of smoked duck with my cheese & crackers? I decided that no, I do not, so I got up and walked out of the brush and watched them flush. Yep, two hen teal. It was dark when I got back to my truck, strap empty, but it was getting chilly so I was glad I wasn't wet. All in all it was a successful scouting trip, although I was pretty surprised not to see more ducks after sunset as I was walking out. There's only a couple weeks left! I need to get back out there and probably not be so picky!

4. timbutcher

I find myself thinking the same thing the older I get.

I do jump shoot ducks on occasion. Mostly to let the lab have practice.

I kill hens too as you can see from my pictures. All drake limits are cool and when it happens it’s makes a nice picture but they all eat the same.

I killed two quail the other day and marinated them overnight put on the smoker. Mmm

Buster_AZ likes this.
  5. KellyC

KellyC New Member

I was actually out looking for places to decoy but I do enjoy jump shooting creeks and drain ditches. Desert tanks surrounded by salt ceder, not so much. I actually have no problem with people shooting hens. I hope I didn't imply otherwise. It's legal, it probably doesn't change the pothole production calculus one iota, and as you say, they all taste the same! But if I can shoot all drakes, I can give my buddies some ribbing when they shoot the hens :) It's all for fun though. I just wish there were more ducks here. I do miss hunting on the ID/OR border where I grew up. I try to get up there twice a year, but with Covid and the fact that my parents are 85, I skipped it this year. I wake up every morning thinking about it though.

6. timbutcher

Kelly, that area sounds amazing can me and Buster come with you next year?

Buster_AZ likes this.
  7. KellyC

KellyC New Member

That can be arranged. You guys can show me how to kill ducks here and I'll show you how to kill ducks there. Here's a photo of a great day in Eastern Oregon. I just have to get those boys to quit shooting hens! ;)

IMG_5263.JPG

8. timbutcher

Dang nice pile there and some bonus birds as well!