2013-2014 *tentative* Waterfowl season dates

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by BAYDOG, Jul 30, 2013.

1. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

Manner of Taking

It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

while in or on a motor vehicle (except by the holder of a Non Ambulatory Hunter Permit).
    with the aid of a vehicle's lights.
    on or from any public road.
    with any firearm equipped with a silencer.
    with any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm).
    with a spear.
    with a bow equipped with any mechanical device which is attached to the bow (other than the bowstring)
    for drawing, holding or releasing the bowstring, except for a hunter with a disability who is in possession
    of a Modified Archery Permit (compound bows are legal).
    with a spear gun or crossbow except for a hunter with a disability who is in possession of a Modified Crossbow Permit.
    with an arrow with an explosive head or shaft.
    with any device designed or intended to deliver drugs to an animal.
    with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, EXCEPT the following semi-automatic firearms:
    firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, or
    firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
    autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches.

I don't believe it will matter since you can't hunt wildlife with a firearm capable of carrying more than 6 shells. I also believe you can still use a duck plug to alter it to reduce the capacity to no more than 6 shells.

2. Circle Hook

Circle Hook Senior Refuge Member

My shotgun with the magazine extension can hold 10 shells, so my gun is "capable of holding more then 3 shells" as the rule states, so it sounds legal to me.

3. ninethreeeleven

ninethreeeleven Senior Refuge Member

Thanks, what about pumps? That rule is only against auto-loaders. I tried google, but the information about the SAFE act is all over the place, much of it outdated as well. Even the governors website quotes the above law, but fails to distinguish pumps.

Wait, I think there's a typo there. Your gun, as it stands with the magazine extender, is capable of holding 10 shells, which is more than the allows "6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined." Assuming you're using a semi-auto, that would be prohibited.

On a side note, we're going to have to get a sticky to remind everyone to put their plugs back in after September.

4. sponsa

sponsa Refuge Member

The above responses with regard to auto-loaders and magazines for hunting are correct.

The trickier issue is the pumps and other manually operated guns with extended magazines. The SAFE Act limits those guns to having 7 or fewer rounds in the magazine, but does not require them to be altered or plugged to prevent more than 7 being loaded. Having a plug in place to limit the magazine to 7 is a cheap way to avoid a ticket or arrest.