Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2018-2019 Plantation Bottoms'.....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 2, 2018.

1. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Maggs has an MD look if I ever saw one. Master Ducker. Kinda reminds me of Blue that used to be in the Peters shell ads.

2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Thanks Rat! The way I see it, every bird that she goes and gets, I don't have to. She aint a speed demon(but neither am I) but she sure gets the job done. She saved our bacon in Miss. for sure. And boy does she ever mind us. We never use a collar or lease. And comes with 2 toots from the whistle. As ole SxS used to say,
    One time in my life, I hope I can own a "Gentlemens Dog". The one who retrieves ducks or whatever, minds, great with the kids, doesn't lay on the furniture, and listens to everything you say. And when in the house, lays down beside your chair. Well, this is that dog. My Buddy!

Me & Maggs........

3. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Well Rex, as y'all say in the movie bidness "Thets a wrap". tough season...
    IMG_20190130_104332739.jpg

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

That's some big ol birds. Hunt 'em outta plowed field?
    Had my mind set on one more goose smash but I done come down wit the eppisudies and can't shake it. I feel like poo. Got 'til Sunday, so maybe there's a chance.

5. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

We hunt em oer field an water Stevie. Like everthin else they decoy better in field than water.
    Killin a goose or two make a man feel a whole lot better

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Gents -
    Stevie - Sorry to hear you got the "don't feel good" right now. Sucks I know... Me & Geese just don't go at it much.... Its kinda like deer huntin'.. Now what do I do with these things. Was the Foot' good to you & Omar the last weekend??

Billy Bob - finally its over! Kinda a good feeling aint it. Is ole Razor done with the school system now excepting for collecting the govt money every month? Question - What the heck do you do with them big birds?? We had a couple of those things in the Bottoms' a couple yrs back. Dang! they are big!

My Missus' has had me on building duty the last week or so. We are working on her new old log cabin trying to get it ready to put the roof back on it. We have underpinned it with stacked rocks that we brought over from where the chimney was knocked down & got a little re-chinking to fix. replaced some logs where the fireplace area was back when, and dug a trench and buried a 50' electric line in conduit from the house to the cabin so's she can plug up a lamp when she needs to. I have decided that a pick-axe aint your friend! And, never will be! Next I got to cut a ridge pole & put up a couple of porch poles & get the porch on. I reckon that's when the roof will go on. The rain coming aint helping much with the chores.

I reckon its always something aint it.

Me & Maggs.....

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Rexall, Reelfoot wasn't very kind to us. Saturday, not many birds were movin' around but we chipped and chopped a half dozen. Omar and I did a bit of a Bud Tour Saturday afternoon and boy did we see the ducks, all comin' outta the Mississippi River bottoms. One flooded field just off the road we were on was holdin' maybe 500-600 bluebills. Sunday we had high hopes as we could hear a roar o ducks up on the refuge over a mile away but there was absolutely no wind and they didn't move. I think we scratched out 5, pulled the plug at noon and headed home.
    Billy Bob, I'm gonna have the pleasure of Huey's company this weekend and owe it to him to have a few gooses what to fetch. That and I'm still mad at 'em. Went by LR yesterday and the mallards done took up a home there. That made it just that much more worser.

8. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Rex some folks, specially old timers, like em fo the table. Lotta meat but not as much as you'd think lookin at em.
    Taste right liverish to me.
    Stevie if Huey counting on you ya gotta sac up an make it happen. Long days till Sept...
    Them swans push ol Oz's buttons I tell ya.
    Won't tote em- jus go into a frenzy an start rippin clumps o feathers out. Don know if he tryn wittle em down to totin size or what but time I get to the bird it look like we huntin a cotton field. Soft mouthed as you'll find on anything else....

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Mornin' B.B. -
    I reckon that "liverish taste" is why I dont like duck. Or liver.. The onlyiest purple meat that dont taste like that is Elk for some reason.. Elk is good..
    I think Maggs would do the same to one of them big birds also. She does that same thing to Turkey. She will go tackle them, bark and growl, then start in on them yanking feathers. She will end up grabbing a wing tip and start backing out but still fussing about it.

I sure am glad its over with!

Me & Maggs..........

10. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Haven't tried this with duck, but I like it for goose and turkey breast. Louie's Italian Beef seasoning packets. I cook it in a crock pot when the guys come for deer season. Always got a hot sandwich to warm the innards.