2019 - 2020 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Huskermut

Huskermut Senior Refuge Member

Figured it was time to start a new thread. In western Nebraska (playa and Sandhills region) we've got decent numbers of blue wings, mallards, pintail, coot, and a few redhead, shoveler, and gadwall hanging around as well. Haven't seen any ducklings yet.

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Man you're on top of things Matt lol. I usually don't start a thread until about August. Playas still have pretty good water in areas and I saw a fair amount of ducks today. Didn't get off the highway though to check things out. Glad to have you around to bring in more posts!

3. Huskermut

Haha the duck depression is killing me.

4. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Just wait till the season comes in,it gets that much worse!

5. Huskermut

Playas are holding water in western NE but have dried down some. Smartweed and dock coming in nicely. The extended forecast for August is calling for above average precip and below average temps so the teal should hopefully move in in big numbers right before the season starts. We have a few blue wings, pintail, shoveler, and redhead around with quite a few mallards.

Neck Collar likes this.
  6. Ed Camenzind

Ed Camenzind New Member

We had about 30 teal show up on the marsh yesterday. Hoping those numbers start building.

Huskermut likes this.
  7. goosehunter140

goosehunter140 Senior Refuge Member

Get out here and check the basins !! In 40 years of hunting the basins I have never seen this much water and this many ducks of all kinds. Have a GREAT season. :sp:sp:sp

8. nebgoosehunter

Fantastic news for you guys! That'll spread everyone out and make for a more enjoyable hunt.

9. nebgoosehunter

Unprecedented rains for August in my area of the playas. Some areas have seen 6". Water is everywhere and birds will be really spread out. May make things tough as they'll just go and sit on another wetland. Would be nice to take some good water levels into the regular duck season.

10. Danny Hernandez

Danny Hernandez New Member

The front yesterday night int the morning should have brought a nice fresh movement of Bluewings down into/through our state.

With wetlands and pastures in great conditions water-wise, we should have stopped quite a few birds unlike in past seasons. It's going to be hard at work the next few weeks before the opener!

Jon-Barta and Huskermut like this.