2019 - 2020 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Jul 2, 2019.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

We picked up some new birds from the north in western Nebraska yesterday. I took my boys on a scouting trip yesterday evening and birds were very scattered with no real concentrations. Got permission on the first feed I came across with about 1000 but they got up about 45 minutes before the sun went down so I figured they wouldn't be back tomorrow morning. Luckily I could see another feed about three miles away so I went over and checked them out and got permission for those also. I'd guess there were 1000-1500 in that group. There was another feed of about 500 about 3/4 of a mile away also. I could also see birds way to my east in my binos but it was kind of hazy and hard to see and getting late so I just decided to hunt that field in the morning. Fast forward to this morning and we were right on the X with bird tracks all over. I had no idea where the birds went to roost because I took off after sunset and the birds were still feeding, but they ended up roosting about a mile away and we could hear them while setting up. They took their sweet time to get off the roost, maybe 30-60 minutes after sunrise, but I suppose that is pretty typical of late season juvies. Of course they all came in one flock which I was afraid of but they came in close. Problem was they were super spread out and not bunched up. Two of my buddies had never decoyed snows, so I'm guessing they got a little excited and just plain missed. My other buddy and I didn't do much better only dropping one a piece. Had they been a little more bunched up we could have given ourselves a little better shot selections but that is how it goes. There was one straggler flock of about 20 that brought up the rear shortly after and a juvie dropped out from them and we added it to the bag to finish with three on the morning. It was a fun hunt still, especially decoying a big flock! Probably my last hunt of the season, but I'll keep my eyes open for another opportunity for sure!

Huskermut and Neck Collar like this.
  2. Huskermut

Huskermut Senior Refuge Member

Here is the video from the hunt.

3. nebgoosehunter

Only took me two days to decide to try it out again. I thought with 60 degree temps and south winds, there may be a few birds that pass through yesterday or last night. Went up to my pond to look for a pass shoot/jump opportunity. Didn't hear any snows when I got out of the pickup but I snuck up close and could see 11 white birds with about 30-40 lessers. They were on the opposite side of the darks and pretty spread out so I was just going to wait them out for at least one to make itself clear of the flock before I would take a shot. Two ross's ended up swimming out a bit and I waited until they lined up together and shot once. Only got one of them and then the whole flock got up and came right at me and I easily picked out two more snows with no concerns for hitting a dark goose. It was a fun, quick, easy hunt that was definitely worth the drive! Now I'd be surprised if I got out again, but never say never!

4. Huskermut

Huskermut Senior Refuge Member

Still seeing decent groups of snows (around a thousand) in western NE.

Neck Collar and nebgoosehunter like this.
  5. nebgoosehunter

Still some concentrations here in Nebraska. I have a buddy who hunted Saturday evening and saw 10k. He said he was in between two flyways but had 1000 come over with no interest. They shot the only bird that decoyed. With the unsettled weather this week I'll be looking for another chance to hunt them this weekend. The only day they'd probably leave is Tuesday with 60's and a SW wind. But if they've stayed this long, they may stick it out still.

6. nebgoosehunter

Buddy I know shot 52 last Saturday and then another 76 on a small juvy feed this past Tuesday. I got an invite to hunt with them in the morning on another feed of only 600-900 he said. Don't know if I want to drive as far as he is so I have another buddy scouting for me this evening as I am tied down. Hoping he can pull a rabbit out of the hat and find us a decent group!

hunting1 and Neck Collar like this.
  7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I know some are still being shot along the Missouri River.

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  8. nebgoosehunter

My other buddy couldn't find any birds where he was scouting. I ended up not driving down to meet up with those other guys. I would have had to leave at 2 am to get there to help set up. I probably should have just went as they shot 60 birds and two bands and only saw about 500 birds come off the roost. They shot 188 from three hunts in the last week, wish I could have made one of them at least! I went and looked for a turkey and some snows with another buddy and only saw one small group of 25 juvies. It's always a depressing time when there are no more waterfowl to be shot.

Neck Collar likes this.
  9. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Neb, Sure is a bummer to see a waterfowl season end. Bright side though is that turkeys are waiting for you. Get out there and shoot a few extra thunder chickens for me this spring. Being a OOS'er Nebraska is not letting me partake in the turkey season out there this spring so I'll have to live vicariously through you. GOOD LUCK and post up a bunch of pics! I'm really going to miss not making this annual spring trip out west.

Huskermut and nebgoosehunter like this.
  10. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Of course the afternoon of the last day of the spring conservation season I get a report of 1000+ birds in the area with specific location details! :mad:

nebgoosehunter likes this.