2019 - 2020 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Jul 2, 2019.

1. kchusker

kchusker Refuge Member

I am from Osceola now living in Eastern Kansas. When does the Nebr Game Commission post the waterfowl seasons for 2020?. Since Cheyenne Bottoms was terrible last year. I am looking to hunt the basins in 2020, about an hour south of Polk County. Maybe nonresidents won't be allowed for waterfowl too. I hunt out of a kayak too. Getting too old to wade in and the kayak works great-only 42#.
    GBR!

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Huskermut likes this.
  3. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I took my dad who hasn't filled his tag yet this season and another buddy looking to get a second bird this morning. Things were very quiet walking into the woods and then a lone gobbler echoed in the forest within a 100 yards. He couldn't see us but I'm guessing he could hear us coming as we weren't expecting anything to be roosted where he was and we were trying to get deeper into the forest. We sat down where we were and realized he was all alone and figured we had a good chance at calling him in. Sure enough as soon as he pitched down he went into strut and slowly started working our way. When he landed from fly down I bet he was already within 60 yards but the timber was pretty thick. My dad was up first and I was sitting behind him and told him to wait. Well he gets to 35 yards and to my astonishment my dad shoots, barely even pulls a feather out and the bird flies away. Now had my dad had actual turkey loads instead of the 3 1/2" #2 steel loads he was shooting I'm sure he would have been dead, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he shot so soon. I gave him grief, but he was in no mood to hear it after that haha. I probably should have gone a little easier on him as this was the first time he's even had a bird come in strutting like that and I'm sure he just got excited. All his turkeys have been spot and stalk so I'm sure that is what it was. After sitting in disbelief we continued on looking and listening for any gobblers but struck out big time. We walked several miles through the hills and across this property and figured he was the only tom on the whole property that morning. We figured we'd head back to the truck and go to new small property I got permission on. As luck would have it, enough time must had passed that that tom was looking for a friend again and answered us. We tried sneaking in close and calling him in and he wasn't having it, although he was very responsive to the calling. Finally we just had to put a sneak on him and it worked out perfect. One double bearded beautiful Nebraska Merriam later, my dad was extremely relieved!
    [​IMG]

Huskermut, Fozzbear, jcneng and 3 others like this.