2019 - 2020 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by Huskermut, Jul 2, 2019.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Truck is loaded and ready, waiting for someone to get off work.

Huskermut likes this.
  2. marshmadness402

marshmadness402 Refuge Member

Saw tons of migrating pintails today and that was about it. Overall pretty lame push of birds where I was at in the basins. Two flocks of specks towards dark. Maybe saw 600 birds in five hours...not what I expected

3. waterfowler6963

waterfowler6963 Senior Refuge Member

More duck today then what I saw on Wed.but not big push! Eastern NE.

4. Huskermut

Huskermut Senior Refuge Member

Still saw quite a few birds today, mainly GWT and mallards. Most small ponds in the area are capped up with ice. Low of 16F and wind chill around zero will do that.

5. marshmadness402

marshmadness402 Refuge Member

Ducks moved overnight, decent pile this morning. Still not many birds moving this morning; some pins and cranes

Huskermut likes this.
  6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

We shot pintails, teal, mallards, wood duck in the basins this morning. Was expecting to see a lot of fresh birds, not so much.

Huskermut likes this.
  7. CJT

CJT New Member

Shot a quick solo limit of bluewings and 1 pintail yesterday afternoon in the basins. This morning we shot greenwings, pintails, mallards, and wigeon. Didn’t see any bluewings this morning. As expected with the cold, bluewings left overnight, at least where we were hunting.

8. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

After that snow stops, a October push like nothing I have seen could very well happen. The sad thing, it's way too early for such nonsense and zone 3 hunters are really gonna feel the burn.

GK1 likes this.
  9. waterfowler6963

waterfowler6963 Senior Refuge Member

I couldn't agree with you more Jkern zone 3 in eastern Nebraska is a joke miss the Oct birds and the river is locked up or full of slush by the first week of Dec.a four week season at best!

10. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

It's not that I feel it needs to be open RIGHT NOW because you really can't set seasons on..."last year it snowed on blah blah" date. Would be nice however if it opened the Saturday before when it does.

When I was a kid I have a painful memory of a season where there was a huge Halloween blizzard but we didn't open afew days later. We shot about 20 ducks that season and 15 were the first 2 days.

Would rather be hunting in a t shirt knowing they are coming. Than be freezing my butt knowing the majority are south.

nebgoosehunter and frankman like this.