Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

2019 Conservation Season Snow Goose Reports

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

No one is really talking but I would expect birds into Canada at any point. Saw a couple thousand today but with the snowline the way it is they are free to move up the 281 corridor.

2. Hau9358

Hau9358 Refuge Member

Still plenty of birds in North SD. Had a buddy and his son kill 21 yesterday

3. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

We killed 17 in NW Missouri this past Saturday. I did hear of a hunt in mid-Missouri where 6 birds were taken. Still a slight trickle coming through but very near the end I would say for mid-tier states. The 17 was the best hunt of the year for us and was our last day.

Hopefully next year will return to "near normal".

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

A couple of buddies are with an outfitter today in the Aberdeen area and had a nice little shoot in the fog. Said birds were heading north over them like crazy from 11 AM on.

5. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Screenshot_20190405-213126.jpg It was nonstop high birds coming over Bismarck today. Quite possibly the largest flight of snow i have ever seen over Bismarck since we're normally a little too far to the west.

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Aberdeen guys said today was slim pickings with birds blasting northbound all day. gotta guess Devil's Lake has a couple on it...

7. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The sun popped out a little and it has been nonstop highflyers heading north west.

On a sidenote everything that I have shot this spring has had next to no fat.

8. Drakes Landing

They have been flying back and forth and to and from for months with the variable weather. I really hate to hear that though as it will hurt the breeding birds if they don't have adequate fat preserves. This blizzard coming may not help either. Guessing some birds are beginning their breeding rituals (not Snows but ducks/honkers) up North............hopefully none are laying yet. Let's hope this blizzard/snow warms quickly and melts away.

Good luck.

9. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Interesting in your statement about no fat reserves. When the conservation season first started, biologists told me they want them constantly harassed all the way north so they could not build up fat reserves. That this would help reduce the number of young and help bring the population down. This is why they would like them jumped every time they sit down. Doesn't make for good decoy hunting. But that's not the objective of the spring season.

10. Drakes Landing

Good point Ken. Being an avid decoy hunter I’m probably speaking from a different position. Meaning I’m really hoping for a great rebound hatch this year to fuel my addiction. That is no doubt contrary to what is intended I’m sure but I’m going to be selfish and hope for a monstrous hatch this year!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.