2019 Duck Census

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Mack Molloy, Aug 19, 2019.

1. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

I had a guy that mounted birds for 75$. Said he did it for the enjoyment. Lost track of him years ago....couple of my best birds were done by him...canvasback and a beautiful widgeon, coukdnt look nicer.

hunting1 likes this.
  2. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

Yep. Sad deal. I left a couple of messages and after a while his son returned my call and broke the news to me. It had been about a year. Mike was a heckuva nice guy, always interested in what you had in the bag, always had a smile and was just doing something he loved. He was so apologetic when he had to raise his price to 60 just to cover the cost of supplies. I'll bet a lot of people miss him.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

You guys were lucky to say the least with someone like that doing your work, was he retired and doing the work to fill his time??
    Like I had stated hold on to your wallet for sure looking for new taxidermist, unless you get lucky again.

4. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

2019/2020 Migration Report. Sitting outside drinking a cup of coffee at daybreak and heard wings cutt’n air. Took a second to find them but it was a group of about 15-20 BWT, flying very high.

WHUP ! Hen and cam like this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

You think any will be around when the season starts, that seems to happen every year.

6. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

There’ll be birds here but just like those I seen, there’ll be alot skip over us. Their big time night migrators so, it can be hard to evaluate.

7. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

Yes he was retired and it was strictly a hobby for him.
    Sorry Sunklands I know you're trying to get us back on topic.
    My hunting partner was fishing yesterday on a Metro Lake while I had to work :( and reported that 25 bw went past him

10GAGENUT likes this.
  8. 10GAGENUT

Just like those cacklers I've been hearing more and more of every year at night, where they go I don't know but they make enough noise doing it !!

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  9. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I know, we were shooting them on a fish farm when times were slow when I was a kid. Sometimes they had so many fish in their throat they came back out on retrieval. I felt bad letting them goto waste so tried to make use of one. After that, I saved them for dog training and was much more sympathetic to letting them pass.