2019 Migration Report

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Mack Molloy, Oct 8, 2019.

1. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

Yes they hang out on sand bars. They like any slow water such as behind the dikes on the inside of a bend.

I scouted from Miami to hwy 65 today and saw 2 ducks. I am ready for the split.

2. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Which river? Mississippi north of st louis you wont find many sandbars, there are off limits areas (like the illinois side by and large) and island hunting is more of the thing.

On the MO, as stated yes sandbars and behind some dikes. However it's still high and over many dikes so those areas are limited at the moment.

3. duckalot

duckalot Senior Refuge Member

I have spent many hours on the MO river fishing and hunting and you wont find much sand on a 22' river @ Waverly

i_willie12 likes this.
  4. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

We must have had a little push of ducks last night. I saw about 750 on my rounds this morning. Yesterday I saw 2.

duckalot likes this.
  5. court

court Elite Refuge Member

The river is such a cool place too hunt when it is at a reasonable level. I do know the first time you are in waders and you step into the water your butt will be puckered so tight it isn't even funny! When it gets sheets of ice floating down it is the best. If you can find a sand bar fairly close to the bank that was always our ticket! Ice didn't get in there and the water was just inches deep so the water kind of rolled in there and the ducks would try to pile up in those riffles. We has some truly memorable shoots!
    What was so cool was the first time I was sitting there and just watching sheets of ice rolling down the river. I kept seeing ducks fly up river but never would I see them fly down. It didn't make any sense to me at all. Until I realized they were riding the damn sheets of ice down and then they would fly back up and get on another sheet. I so thought I was seeing things! They did that all morning long! It was pretty dang cool.

6. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

It is neat to be out there in those conditions. But beware on brutal cold days, as I've started a day where there were occasional icebergs and plenty of water, and almost gotten stuck out there when it clogged up so fast there was 5% water and ice sheets shelving up on each other so thick it was tough to break. And we had to get upriver to the ramp... This will certainly make one pucker!

I've hunted the Miss more than the MO, and have seen this happen really quickly on the Miss in the regulated pools (but miles above the next lock/dam). Maybe it doesn't happen as fast on the MO. The worst day this happened, we were distracted by shooting birds b/c the conditions were good for it, so those are the pros/cons. I've been more aware to it after that.

Probably won't have to have much iceberg concerns for a bit, especially with the high water.

duckalot likes this.
  7. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

Backing down an ice covered boat ramp will pucker you up for sure!

Cliner likes this.
  8. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I like watching guys who are new to hunting in the woods, take off wading through there fast. Next time you’re in the woods, notice everything you could or would trip on, if it was under water.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  9. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

If you know where any duck clubs are inland ,adjacent to the river ,,And it starts getting cold and icing up at the clubs ,,,,Ducks will usually be close by on the river ,,,sitting on a bank and or a wing dike if no sand bars are around

10. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

• Subject: This weeks waterbird report: Clarence Cannon NWR and Great River NWR

Good morning waterbird enthusiasts,

This weeks waterbird numbers have been compiled. As of November 14, just over 110,000 ducks were observed at Clarence Cannon NWR, with an additional 25,000 ducks observed at Delair Division of Great River NWR. Canada Geese observed numbered 74 and 273, respectively.

Arctic air has 95% of the refuge iced over this week, but the birds are maintaining several openings in favorite areas of the refuge. Northern Pintail numbers remain high, with more Mallards arriving every few days. We have also observed more diving ducks entering the area in the past week.
      Good luck this weekend,

Great River, Clarence Cannon, and Middle Mississippi River National Wildlife Refuges
      Annada, MO
      573.847.2333 x111

and the migration continues...............

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    10GAGENUT and WHUP ! Hen like this.