2019 Migration Report

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Mack Molloy, Oct 8, 2019.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My son and I have hunted all three of the areas you mentioned. We aren’t much of a goose hunters so Swan and Fountain Grove didn’t hold a great deal of interest. I think the EPP Is being short stopped up north as it doesn’t seem to be as populous as it has been. Our most memorable hunt was ar Grand Pass. We had drawn in late December and when we go there there were only 2 parties. Come to find out all of the holes were were frozen, the guy said go where you want to. We found a likely place walked carefully on the ice and set 8 decoys, of course they sat crooked on their keels. By 8:00 we had our limits of mallards. It was fun to see my lab race from our hide and slide 20 feet past the duck, later on she learned to take a little more time. We stopped by the head shed and the warden said that what we did was hard to believe.

TooTall likes this.
  2. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

Whup, I grew up hunting Buzzard Island just south of you. Cut my teeth on the river there hunting with a second generation market hunter who maintained his livelihood duck hunting. Witnessed the shift from traditional flyways to inland refuge. Seasons were over and the majority of the flight had migrated by mid Dec. in those days. I witnessed some incredible flights but the plummeting times in the early 80’s seemed to change things forever in those parts or the river flyway anyway. With the limited pressure in that area now it sounds like a you have a great spot!!!

3. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

It has been interesting to see early migrators maintaining their migration patterns, while mallards have been all over the place. All it takes is a big cold front and the early ducks leave and mallards show up...pretty much the same for several years. The one big change for us has been the statement..."if there is water in the bottoms, we will have ducks." The last couple of years we had a lot of water and the mallards really never seemed to use it. Sit on the refuge all day and then hit corn fields at night. It certainly seems like the "Grand Pass" style of management MDC has employed has definitely changed things.

sgt duck likes this.
  4. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

Kinda sad. But we got to see big numbers on a piece of paper.

sgt duck likes this.
  5. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

Been seeing several lines of snow geese fly over the house headed south the last few days.

6. captaininsano050

Psshhh...seriously? Which corner of the state are you in again?

7. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

Ten mallards setting on the sheet water by the house today, that's the most that have been on the farm all year.

i_willie12 likes this.
  8. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

I had a hard time believing it too. Live east of KC, saw em flying over the hospital as I left.

9. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

The Fall of 1981 Fountain Grove had a record number of Mallards in the middle of November...maybe 50,000. I can remember seeing thousands of ducks flying from the honey hole on the west side refuge to the east side walk ins starting around 2:00 pm...after hunting had closed. Mother nature gave them the ability to adapt, so I guess this new pattern really is not much different. But, it still sucks!

sgt duck and wakenda like this.
  10. captaininsano050

You can't blame the ducks for doing what they gotta do!

sgt duck and Mack Molloy like this.